main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI Your favorite SW character.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Idgie, Apr 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Okay,pretty simple question,but since we are a fairly new group and we do have some newer people,it's always a good question to throw out there.

If you're going to name an Ep.II character,keep it spoiler free.I'll even allow EU characters,(but don't tell anyone,I have my canonist reputation to protect!) :)

I identified with a lot of the characters for different reasons.Luke,because of his desire to find his independence,his restless spirit,and his alienation from his father.Han,because of his distrust of institutions and (most)authority,and Padme's and Leia's passion for their beliefs.I liked Watto just because I thought he was funny.

I think overall though,my favorite character would be Anakin.I always liked characters who were not wholly good or wholly evil,and he definitely walks that line.Anakin seems like a mess of contradictions at times,God knows I feel like that alot.Most of the time,I'm not sure if it's an angel or a devil on my shoulder telling me what to do.

I think he's the most complex and dynamic character in the saga,even after he becomes Vader.His speech to Motti in ANH was the first indication that he had still retained some of his humanity.To me,Anakin was not an evil person,he was simply a man who had lost his faith.He had to get lost in the darkness before he could understand the light.Despite his fearsome appearance and his tortured soul,Anakin's compassion and his ultimate sacrifice to save his child(as well as the galaxy) proved that no one was beyond redemption,and that we are all 'luminous beings',and not the 'crude matter',the masks and the armor,that we shield ourselves behind,and sometimes lose ourselves in.

I was very surprised that a lot of people back in `77 actually thought Vader was a robot(you would think the breathing would have tipped them off somehow).

2. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    Leia has always been my favorite. She was the ultimate in female hero when I first saw ANH (next to my other favorite, Wonder Woman). She was smart, funny and she shot a gun & was good at it (believe me, that was a big thing back then). Plus, she has some of the best lines in the OT. :)

2nd place goes to Han. :cool:

Sorry it's not as indepth as your response Idgie, but my reasons for liking Leia are pretty simple. :)

3. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    I could never peg down just one character as a favorite, so here are some of my favorites (both movie and EU).

I was always fond of Han. I'm just always drawn to the scoundrel type of characters who just want to look out for themselves but end up joining "doomed" causes and hate themselves for it.

Boba Fett is another favorite, something about the mystique of him being the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy (not to mention the sweet looking armor)

I'm a huge fan of Wedge, I always wanted him to have a larger part in the films (come on, he's one of the few characters to actually survive all both death star battles... that's gotta count for something). I'm also a huge fan of the Rogue Squadron books and I really liked the way his character developed.

The members of Rogue and Wraith Squadrons, I like all the pilots (especially Wes, he is hilarious... especially in Starfighters of Andurian... yub yub).

4. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    Of the Rogues & Wraiths....Wedge is definately my favorite. :)

And for "new jedi" I'd probably have to say that I enjoy reading Kyp...he's an interesting mix...so far...

5. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    ok everyone, I wanted to at least see what was in the EU books and when my subdivision had a garage sale, I found 18 of them for .50 cents a piece, bargained them down to .25 cents a piece, if I took all of them. So I did. It still doesn't change how I feel about them and their place amongst the Star Wars movies. They are still just fan fiction.

Back to the topic...
    I'd have to say Qui-Gon is my favorite character. I know he died and all, but he was cool. He trained one of the greatest jedi of the them all OB, was so in-tuned to the living force that he found the chosen one the prophecies talked about, he defied the council, I believe he knew that Padme was the Queen, he stuck it to Watto, back-handed Darth Maul, and last but not least -he's Liam Neeson -Rob Roy himself...it doesn't get much better than that.

6. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh, this is such a tough one! I have so many and for such different reasons. Get ready for a long read!

Han is probably my favorite OT character. I love his sense of humor and how frustrated he gets when things go wrong. I think I can identify with that ;) And, of course, the fact that Harrison Ford is totally hot factors into that. (Yes, I'm shallow, I admit it. ;) )

So far in the Prequels, I really like Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Qui-Gon's attitude toward life and authority are wonderful - do what your heart tells you is right, even if Yoda disagrees. What a philosophy. Obi-Wan is, well, damn cute and boy can that guy sing! (oops, wrong movie, sorry!)

And in the EU, I have two - Wedge and my namesake, Mirax. Wedge is the Everyman of the Star Wars saga. Any of us could be him with enough determination, hard work and a pinch of gut instinct. (I also have a thing for pilots.)

Mirax is one tough lady. She has a really well-developed sense of who she is and she's very independent. And, underneath the tough exterior, she's a bit of a romantic at heart. She's also a pilot. I never got to do it, but I really wanted to fly F-14s for the Navy. So, I guess she and I are a lot alike.

Of course, there are many others that I love for various reasons, but I think that's enough for now.

Regards,
    M.

7. DoubleAgent

DoubleAgent Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Alright, I'll chime in. As cliché as it might be, my favorite character in the OT is Vader. I saw Star Wars at the ripe age of 9, and let's fact it, for a boy at that age a villian in a wicked black outfit force-choking guys is cool! Empire ripened this opinion. :D Maybe it's in the blood: my son will try to imitate the breathing if he hears it. I'm a proud papa.

From Phantom Menace I'll agree with F&B for those same reasons. I also recall an interview with Lucas where George said that he thought Liam portrayed the Jedi perfectly (or something like that), and when I think of the ideals Yoda and Obi Wan expressed in the OT, he's right.

8. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I agree exactly to how Double Agent feels...Vader and Qui Gon were awesome.

9. Scooby_Wan_Kenobi

Scooby_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2002
    I agree with DA and Hutteses, Darth vader is by far one of the most memorable (and Recognizable) characters of any movie ever made, let alone the OT. Qui-gon was just one cool customer (until he took a light sabre to the abdomen). Although, when I was a lad of ten years old, Luke Skywalker was every kid my age' idol. It's a tough question to answer, because there are so many memorable characters. Leave it to Idgie. :D

10. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    My girl is 2 an a half and it is not Star Wars to her it is all Darth Vader. I ask her do you want to watch star wars and she'll go "watch Darth Vader".

11. SparklerV

SparklerV Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Obi-Wan in Ep IV-VI.

Darth Vader.

Jaina Solo - she's growing on me. Hehe.

--Catherine

12. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    I liked Sebulba also,he was such a ruthless little thug.

13. SparklerV

SparklerV Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 29, 2002
    Oh yeah, and YODA!

14. robertyodarugenstein

Mar 9, 2002
    Han Solo, Boba Fett, and Mara Jade.

15. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Wes Janson.

'nuff said.

16. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    Oh hey Jedijeff, how those Blackhawks doin?

17. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    Janson's not bad...but Wedge will always be the ultimate Rogue.

18. Jedi_Knight_Fisto

Jedi_Knight_Fisto Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    My favorite character would be Boba Fett. He just kicks butt. I also think Kit Fisto from episode II is awesome except I don't know what he's like, yet. That's not a spoiler is it?

19. robertyodarugenstein

Mar 9, 2002
    I now have a new all time favorite character and his name is

COMMANDER JORG SACUL

Man he is so cool.

20. Lady Phoenix

Lady Phoenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 14, 1999
    Diana completely described my feelings on this topic, too. Leia #1, Han #2. Perhaps after I see AotC, I'll change my mind, though...

"COMMANDER JORG SACUL"

I love how his action figure is portly! ;)

21. FearAndBullets

FearAndBullets Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2001
    oh great, another portly pilot that won't fit into a box...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.