main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your movie STINKS and mine RULES!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by obhavekenobi78, Aug 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obhavekenobi78

obhavekenobi78 Jedi Master star 5

May 20, 2002
    Why can't we all just get along? ;)

Personally, I thought that AotC was a great movie. But you know what? I also liked FotR, the Matrix, and Spider-Man. They were all entertaining movies and that's what this silly industry is all about.

So, my question for you is (drum-roll) why is it that fans of AotC seem to be very defensive against any critique of AotC?

No flaming. This is not meant to be a basher/gusher crudfest, I really want to know why this subject is so touchy.

2. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Could be because the media is very-anti Star Wars as of late. "Giving in" to those other movies is like throwing in the towel..

But that's a bunch of BS. I totally agree with you.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    And why do LOTR fans seem to be so defensive against any criticism of FOTR, accusing the criticizer of everything ranging from lack of taste to insanity to stupidity to "movie envy"?

I would imagine people on this Star Wars forum (Star Wars forum, not LOTR forum) are defensive because they are sick and tired of LOTR fans coming in and gloating about FOTR supposedly kicking TPM/AOTC's ass and beating down Lucas to elevate Peter Jackson.

4. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    Shelley is EXACTLY right.

5. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree with shelley

6. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    I also agree with Shelley.

7. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Shelley speaks the truth

8. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Every day I come to this, the Attack of the Clones forum, I have to read about how I'm blind and "incapable of independent thought" for liking AOTC, and I'm told why I should favor FOTR/Spider-Man/The Matrix/etc. instead (talk about being hypocritical). Is it any mystery that there might be some resentment here?

Let people make their own decisions, whether it's the LOTR movies, Spider-Man, the Star Wars prequels, or something else. You do nothing for your movie of choice when you try to cram it down someone's throat.

9. WookieMullet

WookieMullet Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2001
    I think Shelley has an unhealthy hatred for Lord of the Rings.

Does she see it as a threat, perhaps? A threat to Star Wars' spot on the throne of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy world? Is that where this hatred comes from? If thats the case (which it appears it is) thats just childish.

It was a good movie. To degrade it is just ridiculous. If you didn't like it, fine. Thats your OPINION. Many, many others did like it. In the end, more people will have seen it in the theater than saw AOTC, and many thought the special effects were awesome in LOTR (which I know Shelley doesn't agree with, considering other posts from her). But just don't say it wasn't good, or the SE weren't good like its written in stone. That's what YOU think; not the majority of who saw it.

You call out the LOTR fans as if they sit here and do nothing but bash AOTC. Well, it seems to me you're the one who is more antagonistic than any LOTR fan.

Lighten up. There is room for more good movies than just Star Wars. Lord of the Rings among them.

10. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

AOTC and LOTR are BOTH great films!

I saw them both in the movie theatres
    many times.

They will both have a home in my DVD collection! :)

To me comparing them is like comparing apples to oranges. Both films have weaknesses and strengths and it's in the nature of EVERYTHING to have a little of both.

11. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    I agree with Shelley, not about LOTR(I thought it was great), but about the constant bashing here. This is the ATTACK OF THE CLONES message forum, and most people here liked the movie and want to discuss the positive aspects of it. I'm not a fan of THE MATRIX, but I don't go to MATRIX message boards and piss all over threads telling people that they're stupid for loving THE MATRIX. So why does it have to constantly happen here?
    If you don't like AOTC either criticize it in a rational manner that doesn't make it a personal issue for those who do like it, or go find a message forum for a movie that you do like.

12. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    hollywood doesn't like Star Wars and it never will because it had basically nothing to do with it. Star Wars is a 120 mill. independant film and any chance to bash it they will take it. just watch this years oscars, tom cruise missed one biggg movie he went from 2001 to jaws to indianna jones to.........forgot to mention STAR WARS!! the only mention of SW was in the harrison ford presentation.

but i liked lotr, havn't seen spider-man yet (i don't like the cast and story change) the marix is cool, t3 (can't wait to see that) and all the other great fantasy, sci-fi, comic movies to come!!!!

i'm in nerd heaven.

13. darthsidious32

darthsidious32 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I have to agree with Darthkarma on the whole apple and oranges thing. Lord of the Rings is not a popcorn movie like Star Wars movies are.

And I also think that it's actually ok to like all of those movies (i.e. AOTC, FOTR, Spider-Man, The Matrix, etc.). They're all good IMHO. Some may be more well done than others. But in the end, it should NOT be a problem to enjoy all of them.

14. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    I think Shelley has an unhealthy hatred for Lord of the Rings.

And I think some people have an unhealthy fixation on what I post, and have an even unhealthier desire to come in and scold me for no apparent reason other than it makes them feel superior.

Does she see it as a threat, perhaps?

Not really.

A threat to Star Wars' spot on the throne of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy world?

Not really.

Is that where this hatred comes from?

What hatred? I don't hate LOTR. I just didn't think it was that great, and I'm sick of hearing about how it kicked TPM/AOTC's ass on a SW forum.

If thats the case (which it appears it is) thats just childish.

I didn't know clairvoyance was among your talents.

It was a good movie. To degrade it is just ridiculous.

So "it's a good movie" is a fact, and anyone who disagrees is ridiculous? Here I was thinking "it's a good movie" is just another opinion.

If you didn't like it, fine. Thats your OPINION. Many, many others did like it.
    In the end, more people will have seen it in the theater than saw AOTC,

And in the end, more people will have seen TPM than LOTR. So what?

and many thought the special effects were awesome in LOTR (which I know Shelley doesn't agree with, considering other posts from her). But just don't say it wasn't good, or the SE weren't good like its written in stone. That's what YOU think; not the majority of who saw it.

And you've polled every single person who saw it to come to this conclusion?

You call out the LOTR fans as if they sit here and do nothing but bash AOTC.

Most of them do. And I'm not talking about fans of both LOTR and SW, I'm talking about people who think LOTR was God's gift and SW sucks, or the PT sucks.

Well, it seems to me you're the one who is more antagonistic than any LOTR fan.

Seems to me like you don't practice what you preach.

Lighten up. There is room for more good movies than just Star Wars. Lord of the Rings among them.

LOTR is not among them, IMO, but that's beside the point. The point is that this is a Star Wars forum, and I and others are sick of LOTR fans coming into the forums and going on and on and on about how FOTR ruled, TPM/AOTC sucked, Peter Jackson is great, Lucas is horrible, etc.

15. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    In the end, more people will have seen it in the theater than saw AOTC

Um, not that many more. I love how those who like to knock SW at the expense of LOTR act like 315 million dollars versus 300 million is some vast fortune in movie money. 15 million dollars isn't even a decent weekend gross any more. If LOTR would have made 400 million dollars than this argument would hold water, but it didn't so it doesn't.

16. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    LIFE is much more better when people disagree on things like movies. :D

17. I_WAS_JUST_BANNED

I_WAS_JUST_BANNED Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2002
    I rented LOTR last night. I have to say it was the best platform game I've seen in a while. Too many boring CGI cut scenes and I couldn't finish it without falling asleep though.

18. Diogonese

Diogonese Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 6, 2002
    ...well, after the horror that was TPM, I went to AOTC EXPECTING to hate it. While I have to admit the film had it's weak points, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I only wish AOTC had been Episode 1, and TPM remained a figment of GL's addled brain. FOTC, on the otherhand, was a film I expected to enjoy, but, in fact, thoroughly detested. Having been a LOTR fan since I was a kid, I simply cannot understand how such a terrible adaptation of Tolkien's story, could be so well recieved.

19. Darth Maulligan

Darth Maulligan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 1999
    It's human nature to be competitive and when one stakes claim to something (movie, sports team, whatever) there is a tendency to begin to dislike the competition. If you view other movies as the competition this is the type "us vs. them" environment that is created.

I love FOTR and really loved AOTC. No problems here.

I've gotten to the point where there are a few abrasive members ("bashers" and "gushers" alike) whose posts I know I can skip right past and enjoy this board much more. I won't name any names...

20. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Jedi Master star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Well, I love Star Wars more than any other series of movies. But I LOVED LOTR!!! I've always liked wizards and magic and all that fantasy stuff. LOTR is full of that and I'm so glad Peter Jackson is making these movies.

I never post anything about LOTR because this is a Star Wars environment and many hate Lord of the Rings. I don't know why, but I can respect that choice.

One of the complaints from many on this board about why they didn't like LOTR (and sometimes AOTC) was that it was too boring in some parts.

Attention spans have gone WAY down over the years.

... C'mon! When's the next expolsion?...

21. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    What hatred? I don't hate LOTR. I just didn't think it was that great, and I'm sick of hearing about how it kicked TPM/AOTC's ass on a SW forum.

So I'm not allowed to say anything bad about AOTC on these forums? Then why do you say things against Mara Jade in the EU forums? If you follow your own philosiphy concerning what you post and where, then you shouldn't be able to do that.

But you'll say that it's just your opinion. I respect that. But to say that I can't voice my opinion because of the Forum I'm in is stupid and hypocritical.

And I think some people have an unhealthy fixation on what I post, and have an even unhealthier desire to come in and scold me for no apparent reason other than it makes them feel superior.

Sound familiar?

And in the end, more people will have seen TPM than LOTR. So what?

PPOR

Most of them do. And I'm not talking about fans of both LOTR and SW, I'm talking about people who think LOTR was God's gift and SW sucks, or the PT sucks.

Again, PPOR

The point is that this is a Star Wars forum,

So? This needs to be a LOTR forum in order for us to say we thought it was better than AOTC?

and I and others are sick of LOTR fans coming into the forums and going on and on and on about how FOTR ruled, TPM/AOTC sucked, Peter Jackson is great, Lucas is horrible, etc.

Now who's misinterpreting others words? I for one have said I liked AOTC, but that I thought LOTR was better in many ways. Where were the flames? Where was the bashing? I never once mentioned GL or PJ.

Just because you think that we are bashing SW and GL doesn't mean we are.

22. Darth Maulligan

Darth Maulligan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 4, 1999
    For the love of God, please don't debate line-for-line with Shelley, it will never end...

23. Logansmiddleclaw

Logansmiddleclaw Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2000
    "I rented LOTR last night. I have to say it was the best platform game I've seen in a while. Too many boring CGI cut scenes and I couldn't finish it without falling asleep though."

I downloaded the 2 hour animated AOTC screensaver last night and man the FX were awesome.

24. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    In the end, more people will have seen it in the theater than saw AOTC

That is presupposing that the 15 million dollars was all from one-time moviegoers and not repeat business. Just because a movie made a lot of money doesn't mean that more people saw it; in fact, it usually means that more people went back to see it again. Look at Titanic: most of its box office came from repeat business, particularly young girls.

According to box office tracking data, LOTR's box office gross was derived primarily from young males. AOTC's was derived primarily from older males, in their thirties. Oddly, this year is one of the worst in history in drawing men in their thirties into the theater. It's been mostly young males and older women. The lack of thirty-something males going back to see AOTC over and over again is probably what's affected its box office. I know that, in my own case, I saw TPM twice as many times in the theater as I saw AOTC, while I greatly prefer AOTC to TPM: I just didn't have the time to see AOTC as much this year.

25. Shelley

Sep 9, 2001
    So I'm not allowed to say anything bad about AOTC on these forums? Then why do you say things against Mara Jade in the EU forums?

Oh, so that's what you following me from thread to thread is all about...I criticized your precious Mara Jade.

But you'll say that it's just your opinion. I respect that. But to say that I can't voice my opinion because of the Forum I'm in is stupid and hypocritical.

And you'll note I never said that.

Sound familiar?

Uh...yeah, I said it to someone who purported to read my mind. Note I said "I think" in my own post.

PPOR

OK. TPM made $100 million more than FOTR.

Again, PPOR

Proof of what?

Now who's misinterpreting others words? I for one have said I liked AOTC, but that I thought LOTR was better in many ways. Where were the flames? Where was the bashing? I never once mentioned GL or PJ.

And I wasn't directing my posts specifically at you. YOU are the one who evidently follows me from thread to thread, not the other way around.

Just because you think that we are bashing SW and GL doesn't mean we are.

So the many nasty posts I've seen directed at SW and Lucas don't count as bashing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.