main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Youre a much wiser man than I am", Obi also says this to Anakin...why?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MasterLuke-83, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterLuke-83

MasterLuke-83 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    In Ep1, Qui Gon compliments Obi Wan after reprimanding him and telling him he has much to learn. Then in Ep3 Obi Wan does the exact same thing to Anakin.

So why is it that Jedi Masters have a habit of humoring their apprentices with praise when they dont mean it? lol

This always was an oddity for me.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    As Dex points out, wisdom and knowledge don't necessarily equal the same thing; Obi-Wan might have a lot left to learn in TPM, but his decisions are hardly stupid.

As for why he says it to Anakin, I don't know. :p

3. jasperjones

jasperjones Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    Lol, good point. I actually just think it's bad writing by Lucas. Twice.

4. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    He meant, you know, in the living force. Anakin was much wiser, he just made way stupider decisions.

5. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    If Anakin were really wise, he would never have believed any of Palpatine's deceptions and dismissed everyone who says that he's not the "good man" he says he is. Anyway, I think that Jedi Masters say that stuff to their padawans so that they would have the confidence they need to survive on their own and to show their padawans that they believe in them.

Now, some masters turn out to be right (Qui-Gon with Obi-wan) while others turn out to be wrong (Obi-wan with Anakin).

6. iLoveAnakin7

iLoveAnakin7 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 17, 2005
    Obi-Wan was just being nice:p

I think this was another way to show the audience just how much of a blind spot he had when it came to Anakin, and for the good-bye scene to hurt more, because we all knew what was coming and the irony of the situation and what was being said, but Obi-Wan didn't.

boonjj likes this.
  7. Eternity85

Eternity85 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    If we judge by the movies alone, then it sounds a little weird. But we dont really know Anakin do we?

It might be things that Obi Wan can see, that we, the audience cannot.. And i dont buy that Anakin was stupide because he believed in Palpatines lies. Everything in this world is not black & white, Anakin grows up, and start to question things. Sidious shows him the other side of things, he is wise, and his influence is strong on Anakin. Any young man could fall into a trap like that. Palpatine really believed that he was doing this for the best of the galaxy, just like Hitler thought he did what he did for the best of his country.

Anakins fall is very believable, although better acting and writing would make it easier for the audience to understand.

8. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Actually, Obi-Wan tells Anakin that he has become a much greater Jedi, not that he is wiser. It was part of Obi-Wan telling Anakin to be patient for the Council to make him a Master.

9. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    Anakin is more accomplished than Obi-Wan in terms of his development and connection with the Force. His skills in combat and piloting are ahead of Obi-Wan slightly. I would say he is wiser because through the Force he can pull off things Obi-Wan cannot and that is why Obi-Wan says this. Anakin certainly turned things around for the two of them at the beginning of the battle of Coruscant. Obi-Wan was going to just pull out of the battle but Anakin found a way to salvage the situation and more than once he did this on the Invisible Hand.

10. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not really being wiser; as Dexter points out, knowledge and wisdom don't necessarily intersect. Sure, Anakin can make starfighters do crazy things and throw things around with his mind, but he's the guy who kicks the galaxy in the teeth over a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Anakin=Power

Obi-Wan (eventually, anyway :p)=Wisdom.

The two things aren't necessarily interrelated; Wise Jedi aren't always powerful, but powerful Jedi aren't always wise.

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    In the grand scheme of things, I'd have to say that Kenobi uttered that line to quiet his former Padawan's overactive mind and to put his apprehensions about the Council to rest.

It is also noteworthy that Kenobi's statement FOLLOWED Anakin's admission about being a petulent Jedi.

Seemed to me like ObiWan was simply trying to soothe Skywalker.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that scene the only time in the PT that Anakin says:
    "may the Force be with you"?

12. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I think so.

13. MasterLuke-83

MasterLuke-83 Jedi Youngling

Oct 12, 2008
    Nah.. in AOTC there was a similar scene.

14. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    As others have said, while Obi-Wan does call Anakin "strong and wise" he doesn't say he's wiser than himself. Just that he has become a far greater Jedi than he is. And while he is trying to calm Anakin's doubts, I'm sure he believes it on some levels, too. Incidents like the one at the beginning of the movie where Obi-Wan is knocked unconscious and Anakin kills Dooku and rescues the chancellor with Obi-Wan on his back, then later lands half a ship probably play no small part in that belief.

15. Obi-Wan-1000

Obi-Wan-1000 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2005
    I just think they were being humble, that's all.

16. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    "Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding."
    ~Proverbs 17:28

17. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003

They say it in each of the PT films. You just gotta keep the ears open during the Council scenes.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Agreed.

19. EmeraldBlade

EmeraldBlade Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2008
    They feel all warm inside and they are compelled to praise those close to them.

It is a lust of sorts.

20. MasterAnakin04

MasterAnakin04 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 1, 2004
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. Too me it sort of emphasised Obi-wans naievety and as you say gave an extra sense of dramatic irony to the movie.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I know THEY say it, I was asking about Skywalker... I can't recall him ever doing that outside of ROTS.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    PADMÉ gives DORMÉ a last hug. ANAKIN picks up the luggage, and the TWO PEASANTS exit the speeder bus, where ARTOO is waiting for them.

OBI-WAN: Anakin, may the Force be with you.

ANAKIN: May the Force be with you, Master.

24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Thank you, Fenn... that's what I was sort of looking for.
    So basically, Anakin never said it first to anyone onscreen, until ROTS.

Interesting.

Now DarthBoba and I can get some rest.
    :p

25. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Yes, the words were only uttered in ROTS -- good homework, Fenn!

The words: "May the force be with you!" are the last words that Anakin the heroic Jedi speaks to his former Master Obi-Wan before his fall. If it is said as a wish, then that wish indeed came true.

ANAKIN: Obi-Wan, may the Force be with you.

OBI-WAN: Good-bye, old friend. May the Force be with you.

The instance in ROTS must have serious significance in the mind of Lucas. The force indeed is with Kenobi after Anakin's conveyance, for Kenobi mercilessly defeats Vader on Mustafar, initiates Anakin's son into Jedi training, then willingly sacrifices himself to the force (where "the force is" indeed "with him" . . . always) in front of young Skywalker, ethereally leading Luke to become the catalyst required to enable Anakin to fulfill his prophesied destiny as the Chosen One.

Yes . . . the force was with truly him! And it was always with Anakin -- he just had to accept it!

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/b/b8/OldBen%27sGhost.jpg/150px-OldBen%27sGhost.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.