main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Yularen in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Imperials follow the standard English elitist Colonial /American revolutionary officer villains as portrayed in Hollywood plus Nazi German military officers of Hollywood fashion. Issac's played the Malfoy/ Colonel Tavington type he's usually cast as. Yularen and Tarkin while in TCW were a bit more positively portrayed but thats mainly cause they were "good" then.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Right because anyone who dresses formal, uses proper language, and has manners is "an evil nazil" in Hollywood's cliche eyes.

However cheesy graffiti artists are the ultimate role model. :p

Vorax and Kassius Konstantine like this.
  3. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Aw n#ts! just found out I double posted!
    Sorry about that!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    I agree with that entirely, I'd just adopt a different point of view. Yularen (and Tarkin for that matter) represents a new elite within the Republic, the military elite which begins to form its own establishment during the Clone Wars, because of the Clone Wars. As such their sole reason of existence is waging this war as leaders of the clones. In this role they clash with the Jedi for many reasons: The Jedi are an old elite, the military establishment is a new elite; the Jedi are rather peacekeepers forced to lead troops into battle, the military establishment understands itself as professional and may view the Jedi as amateurs; and worst of all, the Jedi are ultimately superior in their control of the only ressource allowing the military establishment being an elite, the command over the clones.

From a military studies or sociology point of view of the, this set-up must cause enormous friction, even among the officers who are sympathetic to the Jedi. In TCW, Tarkin was the one who spoke out loud and said the military would run the war differently, but I am sure Yularen's behaviour stems from him having the same opinion. Yularen thinks he'd be the better commander than this kid.

Now this also explains the behaviour of Motti. His superiors, being war veterans, all had resentments against the Jedi. Motti tries to fit in, plays along, and goes too far. And since he probably never saw a Jedi in action, he also believes the Force was a hoax to begin with. Vader thus has to put him in his place.

This also would allow to portrait Yularen having different ethics, less ruthless and more honourable, old-fashion style.

5. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    Now I want to see him in a conversation with Agent Kallus.

6. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I wonder if he would or would not get along with Tarkin?

7. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Is it possible for Yularen to have survived the Death Star like Tagge did......I just really like Yularen, that moustache^:)^

8. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    He is the imperial equivalent to Biggs.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Who is the imperial version of Porkins.

10. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Grynt

11. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
  12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I don't see why not. Motti definitely stayed aboard, but beyond that we don't know how much time passed over the course of ANH or what other responsibilities those characters had. Tagge returned to his fleet after that meeting, and Yularen could have had business elsewhere. Vader at that point did not know the location of the Rebel base, so they had no reason to stick around for the anticipated destruction of the Rebel base. And none of them seemed like they were to occupy permanent positions aboard the Death Star.

13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    TaradosGon Yea Tarkin, Motti, and Bast are the only ones that looked like permanent crew members.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    This I only saw it as an imperial meeting where they would all leave after.

15. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    So far the only thing indicating that he died may be Darth Vader #1;

"Yes, Tarkin, Motti and the others share the blame, but you are the one still living to suffer my anger"

"Tagge always argued against the arrogance of the death star as a sole weapon. He alone was properly wary of the rebel's threat. It was lucky he left the station before its destruction to return to his beloved fleet, or i would have no one i could use"

Even though Yularen was ISB at that point, he had significant experience as a navy admiral. He, next to Tagge, may have been the next best person to once again assume command. Again, if they want to, they can. But his words seemed to imply that safe for Tagge the others stayed on board for some reason. I'm just putting it here for interpretation.

Make no mistake, i want him to live beyond the battle of Yavin and take something of a role Pellaeon once did in the empire, and actually stand for whatever sense of honor and dignity that may be found in the Imperial navy.

Iron_lord and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I think what the Emperor meant were the 3 people that were always there.

17. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Thing is, there is a possibility Yularen may have also been stationed there for a while. The death star is more than just a weapon, it is a mobile nerve/command center and likely houses several branches of the military and intelligence consisting of the best and brightest, another wearing the same uniform as his may suggest this. Or the situation as it was with Rebel activity may have actually required him to stay behind, he also may have been a member of Tarkin's staff.

What i'm interested to know is what he personally thought about the death star, unlike several outspoken supporters and opposers, he did not mention a word about it. It wasn't his responsibility at the time though, but he seemed to keep his opinion to himself.

18. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  19. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    He would have been executed if he voiced his opinion against it, if he was even against it at all.

20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    According to Essential Guide to Warfare, the Republic's officer corp came mostly from the Judicial Forces, so it wouldn't have been a case of a new establishment challenging an old one so much as two old ones clashing. With the EU reboot though a lot of stuff from that book is now non-canon, but I believe the Judicial Forces are still canon, and I think the idea of the Republic military basically being a massive expansion of the Judicial Forces is also canon.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Works for me. Somebody had to fight Trench's corporate fleet years before TCW, after all.

22. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Both of what you guys are referring to is mentioned in the canon novel "Tarkin". ;)

23. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Does anyone else call Yularen, The Narrator The voice actor narrates TCW openings.
    I can imagine him telling Clone Wars stories during the days of the Empire in the annoying narrator tone.

Tarkin- "Yularen report"

Yularen goes into clone wars narrator mode "Princess leia has stolen the plans, but has been captured the Sith Lord Darth Vader, but before her capture she hid away the plans in an R2 unit. The "heroic" droid R2-D2 and his counterpart C3-PO make their escape in an escapepod to the planet Tatootine where they are found by Jawas......moisture farmer Owen Lars.....Luke Skywalker...Obi-wan kenobi "

Yularen continues his narration.

Moff Tarkin sighs
    Tagge rolls his eyes
    Motti leans into General Sideburns and whispers "how does his know all of this?"

Darth Vader walks in interrupting Yularen's narration.

Yularen-"out of all the Sith Lords why'd I have to get stuck with Vader"

Vader proceeds to choke him as Yularen narrates his own death.

Seriously though if Yularen appears they could do TCW flashbacks while he talks about his experiences.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Vib3s like this.
  24. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Way I see it.

Vader sits down producing an orange juice carton and using the straw takes a sip.
    "So... what did I miss?" he asks.
    Yularen continues his narration.
    "Cool so I haven't missed anything then?" he asks the others.
    Tarkin sighs at this rate he'd probably have to blow up Alderaan to get Yularen to shut up...;)

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Vib3s like this.
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He was also the voice of Yoda in TCW.