main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zap's Plugin

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by WhisperingDeath, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    Master Zap (BTW you have an awsome british voice, it is reserved like you are too cool and artistic for the world ;) ) mentioned something about a reflection plugin he has and I was wondering how useful this is to us here at fanfilms.com. Is it possible to use the plugin for things like placing a lightsaber glow on a person's face as he wields it or other such things. Just thought I might bring up a new line of technological questioning.

2. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Hummm, I believe that effect would be EXTREMELY difficult to do in post production. I highly doubt there is a reasonable way to creat interactive lighting of the lightsaber onto the actors face in post-production. In our fanfilm (which the lightsaber battle will finally be shot late this month), we are using clear polycarbonite tubes for our saber "blades." These tubes will be full of glowsticks to simulate the interactive effects of the saber blades onto the actor. This will especially be useful since the final climax of the movie takes place in a (real, not CG) cave, instead of the woods.

3. unclepain

unclepain Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 6, 2002
    Don't let him find out you said his accent was British, seeing as he's from Sweden and all. ;)

I don't really understand the inner workings of his plugin, but in order for it to reflect images properly, I assume you have to assign the video clip onto some kind of texture map of a 3D mesh- This worked fine for the terminator model he used in kidwars, since it was a 3D model, but I don't know how you would translate that into some type of reflection on a video clip of actors with lightsabers.

Later-
    Jeremy

4. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    British!?

Well I take that as a compliment :)

My plugin wouldn't really help there.. it's more of the reverse... i.e. ACTUAL lighting changes (that really happen on the set) can be applied to the 3D model sorta-kinda-easily. (Although the plugin is for reflections, and not for 'lighting' per se)

However I hear some people did interactive lighting on peoples faces from sabres on post. I am fairly certain they did in Essence of the Force... at least the guy who made that film posted here and said something like that.

/Z

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.