main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zombie Agent Clones! (FX Test UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by KaaShamau, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    Hello,

I made this little test to have a go at digital panning and rotoscoping beyond sabers. I think it turned out ok, there are a few bits I'd like to clean up - but perhaps for another test. Thanks to Zap for the panning tutorial.

Originally it had red blood, but it was icky so now in true Carmageddon style it's green. (There is a red version if you want it).
    (oh, and they use DookuBlasters? on Mars, ok? :p)

2. ironhide

ironhide Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Haha that's pretty cool.

The guy coming down the stairs gets shot twice but there is no 'blood' on him.

The spatter on the wall is good but try putting some on the actual people.

Looks good though.

3. Namcoking

Namcoking Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2003
    Cool. Where'd you get the Indy poster?

4. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    I made the poster, it's just a jpeg (here) that I drew onto the wall. :)

It was easy enough to do because the clip is just two static shots merged together. No movement means that the poster (and blood) could just be copied onto every frame. It's also why there is no blood on the clones, they're moving so it'd be much harder to draw the blood convincingly. Something to try next though. :D

5. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    the blood looks really good! how exactly did you do it?

6. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    I rendered out the scenes that needed the blood as Filmstrip files. I then copied these files and used Photoshop to draw (on a new layer) the blood as it would look in the final frame.

I then copied this bloodied frame onto every frame in the stip (not as time consuming as it sounds) and erased the parts that weren't yet to be shown. So for where the clone slides down the wall, I would erase the stain in every frame before he slides. You can see where I missed a frame on the hand that wipes on the door frame. (I hope this is making sense? :p)

Set the transfer mode for the blood to Colour Burn and resaved as a filmstrip.

I suppose this could have all been done within After Effects using masks, but I think you have a bit more control using Photoshop.

Oh, the poster and (half-visible) tag were added in the same way.

This was done for the shot of the clone down the stairs and the composited shot of the clones by the door, then both files were combined using the method described in Zaps pan video.

Crikey. Looks a lot when you write it up like that. :)

7. ChanceKell

ChanceKell Jedi Youngling

Mar 25, 2004
    I think it looks great. My only problem is it looks like the last two clones go down at the same time. It could just be the lack of sound, however.

8. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    Thank you, they do get hit at the same time - mainly because it looked odd that they didn't react to the others death at all when I tried having one die at a time. Again, something to try next time. For now imagine their attacker had two pistols. ;)

9. Despin

Despin Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2003
    Hey there.

Good job man. I just checked out the red blood version. I think it looks even better. Very real. That bloody hand print is superb.

Despin out.

10. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    very nice digital panning and masking

the only thing I noticed is in a frame or two when the guy puts his hand on the door frame falling down, there's a weird black blob over this forearm/hand

the blood looks really good. I'd be interested in seeing the red version

11. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Okay, that smear is KICK ASS. You win.

12. ThePaladin

ThePaladin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2004
    Dude, that smear looked great. I actually thought it was real. You get my respect. So, when is the movie gonna be released ;)

13. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    there's a weird black blob over this forearm/hand
    That'd be the frame I missed erasing the blood. D'oh.

when is the movie gonna be released ;)
    Weeell, there's a local film competition in a fortnight, so might work on this idea to get something together. I'm already working on another sequel test, but might stop to work on this new film. Fingers crossed.

For those who'd like to see, the red blood version is here: Red Blood [face_devil]

14. Quin_Domo

Quin_Domo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 23, 2001
    thats awesome

15. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    Ok, this is the 'sequel' test, a clone inspection - ready for the counter attack (or something). I was trying to use a fake digital pan with footage from an actual pan.

The clone commander is transparent because I didn't want to spend the time masking him out for this test, hopefully a version of it will be used later, so any comments on this will be appreciated. :)
    Clone Inspection (0.7MB, QT)

16. The_Architect10

The_Architect10 Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    That was kickass. How did you make the blood? CG, or real squibs?

EDIT: Nevermind, I should learn to read the entire thread first.

17. Alron_Delzeen

Alron_Delzeen Jedi Youngling

Feb 18, 2004
    that was seriously awesome, I loved the hand print!

18. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    So are you making a Matrix Fan Film? If you are if these tests are anything to go by it gonna be cool!
    :D

19. KaaShamau

Aug 15, 2000
    CG, or real squibs?
    I'll take that as a complement. :)

I wasn't intending to make a Matrix orientated film, but it seems to be going in that direction! Thank you all for the comments.

20. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Yay Matrix film. I havnt realy seen a good one, maybe this will be the one for me. I've done some matrixy stuff latly, maybe I could help?

:D

21. Glowstik

Glowstik Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2003
    Looks awsome man.

22. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    Very good work.

23. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Har har that was relly neat!

/Z

24. althegreat

althegreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 22, 2002
    wow that's all really good stuff. i never really understood the digital panning with clones idea though. could someone maybe explain it or point me to a thread/tutorial? it's something very cool that i'd like to try out now that i pretty much have stationary-shot cloning down.

25. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    *Turns on the Zap signal*

Now where'd I put that link...

~Neszis~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.