main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 11th Annual Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange (2017) - Over for another year. Index complete!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Nov 27, 2017.

1. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Can you believe it? 2017 has been quite the year and it’s almost over! But wait, it’s not over yet! You still have time to get in some of your FanFic Resolutions, we still have to see The Last Jedi, and of course, the Fic-gift exchange!

Yep, it’s that time again, time to have someone write a fic you’ve always wanted to read and to give one to someone else in return.

Welcome to the 11th Annual Non-Denominational, Winter Holiday Fic-Gift Exchange!

How to Participate

Send me, mavjade a PM with the following:

1. Three things you would like in your fic-gift
    2. One thing you don’t want in your fic-gift
    3. The main characters you want in your fic-gift (no more than three)
    4. A character you don’t want in your fic-gift
    5. The era in which your fic-gift should take place
    6. The era(s) for which you would like to write

Example PM:

I would like a story in Saga (OT or ST) or Beyond Legends with:​
    1. The phrase “I know you are, but what am I?”​
    2. A verbal fight that ends in a hug​
    3. Han and Leia slow dancing on the Falcon​

I don’t want Luke in the story​
    I don’t want: anyone dying​

Characters: Han, Leia, R2​

I will write in Saga (Prefer OT and ST) or Beyond (Canon or Legends) ​

ERAs

Due to the ever changing universe of Star Wars, it gets harder and harder to make sure people get to write the stories in the era in which they prefer.

In order to do this I need everyone to be as specific as possible, but also flexible. So…

• If your request is in SAGA please indicate if it should be in PT, OT, or ST as defined by the era classifications for stories (in the spoiler tag below). If your story could be in multiple parts of the Saga and you want to allow the author to choose which part of the Saga the story takes place in, please put those eras in your request as shown in the example above.

PT- Stories that take place from The Phantom Menace up to A New Hope
    OT -Stories that take place from A New Hope up to The Force Awakens
    ST- Stories that take place from The Force Awakens through Episode 9

— If you are writing in Saga, please feel free to tell me which parts of Saga you would prefer to write (PT, OT, ST) and I’ll do my best to stick with that, but please know it may not be possible. ​

• If you want your story or want to write in the old Expanded Universe or the video games -now known as Legends- you need to include “Legends” in your request. So your request for the story or to write should say Before Legends, Saga Legends, or Beyond Legends, otherwise the Nu-canon continuity will be assumed.

Note: It is very difficult to trade fic-gift requests once they have all been sent out, so please think carefully about what era’s you agree to write in. If there is a character(s) you refuse to write, let me know, but please do so sparingly.

So I’ve send my request, now what happens??

After the deadline for requests passes, I will send you someone’s request and you will write the fic-gift for them. Another writer will be sent your request and they will write your fic-gift for you. Your request will not necessarily be given to the person for whom you are writing, but it has been known to happen.

In order to keep who is writing the fic-gifts a secret, I ask that if you have a question about the request, you send the question to me and I’ll as the person and get back to you as soon as possible. That way, everything stays a surprise.

Once you’ve finished writing, you post the fic-gift in the story boards for the person, and everyone else to read.

Deadlines/Posting:

Fic-Gift Requests: Must be PMed by 10:00am PST Sunday, December 10th

Final Deadline for your fic-gift to be posted: 11:59 pm PST, Sunday, January 14th, 2018

Other Rules/Needed Info

• Please put in the title bar “Fic-Gift for___” and then put a link and for whom the fic-gift is here in this thread. It is also fine to tag the person (User) in the thread.

• Please post the story in it’s own thread. This is so that the person can easily find the story written for them and can find it easily again in the future. It also makes it more like a gift for them and not just a story you wrote. You may link to it in a short-story thread if you have one, the prolific writers thread, or post it anywhere else you post fanfics.

--There is no minimum word count, but please keep in mind this is a gift for someone, a story they really want to see! So while you may be able to get the elements into a mini-story, maybe try to add a bit more. Don’t worry, it doesn’t have to be an epic either!

- If you have not posted your fic-gift approximately two weeks before it is due, you will receive a PM from me just checking in, and as a reminder.

-I can always use pinch-writers to write a fic-gift that someone can’t fulfill. So if you would like to do this, please let me know! It’s a huge help!

Non-Star Wars FanFic

In the past, I’ve not allowed any NSWFF because it’s too difficult to match people up, and someone might get left out, which is the last thing I want to happen.

Last year Bri and I did our own The West Wing Exchange and it gave me the idea that I could use this thread to help facilitate other fic-gift exchanges in other fandoms as well. It loses the surprise of the main exchange, but there's not really a good way around that.

If you would like to do a NSWFF fic-gift, post in this thread what fandoms you are willing to participate in. If there is someone else that wants to do the same fandom, that person should reply to you and then you can use the fic-gift request template to exchange fic-gift requests.

You can then post a link to your NSWFF Fic-Gift here in this thread like you would the SW Fic-Gift.

I can’t guarantee that everyone who wants a NSWFF fic-gift will get one because I can’t know which fandoms people will be willing to do, or if there will be enough interest. Only SW fic-gifts will absolutely get a fic-gift.

Example:

Luke Skywalker states he’d be willing to write a fic-gift in Star Trek, Babylon 5, or Duck Tales. ​

Han Solo quotes or tags Luke and says he’d be willing to do a Duck Tales exchange. ​

The two of them then trade requests via PM. ​

They then follow the instructions for posting/deadlines for the main exchange. ​

FAQ
    Can I include more than three things I want/three characters I want in my request? Less than three? Do I have to include a character I don’t want?

You may include more that three wants/characters in your request, but the author is only required to use three of them. If you put more than three, the author is allowed to pick which three (or more) that they want to use. If they want to use them all, they can, but they don’t have to.

You may pick less that three wants/characters, it just means the author has more control over what happens.

Really the only REQUIRED elements are what era(s) the story should take place in and what era(s) you want to write. If there isn’t a character you want to exclude, it’s perfectly fine to leave that out.

Does my request have to be holiday related?
    Nope! This is whatever you want, it doesn’t have to have anything to do with a holiday unless you want it to.

Can I request a fic-gift with my Original Character?
    You may, but if your request has an Original Character (OC) in it, please also provide a character description and character traits along with a link or two to stories with your character. But please realize that the person writing may not have read your OC (and is not required to do so) so they may not write the character the way you want.

Can I request characters from the Non-Star Wars Fandoms?
    For the main Star Wars exchange, please don’t request a character or story line from a fandom outside of Star Wars. There are so many fandoms out there and it’s hard to know what who know which fandom and it wouldn’t be fair to make someone do that much research.

Can I do both the Star Wars and NSWFF exchange?
    Yes, you may do both exchanges, and more than one exchange in NSWFF, but please do not volunteer to do more than you can reasonably deliver by the deadline.

You may only do one SW fic-gift, unless you want to ‘pinch-hit’ and write a second if someone can’t finish their story.

I missed the deadline to submit my request, can I still participate?
    Sorry, not in the SW fic-gift exchange. I’ve tried to do this in the past and it just made things way too complicated. If you would like to do a NSWFF exchange, you could do so.

Can I write a multi-chapter fic?
    Sure! But please make sure to include the elements requested before the deadline.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask here or via PM. Also feel free to indicate you plan to participate in the thread.

Happy Holidays no matter what or when you celebrate!!

~Mav

2. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Story Index

Star Wars

The Last Person... [Beyond-Legends] - by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Briannakin

Even Masters Must Learn [Beyond-Legends] - by Briannakin for brodiew

Spacer, Slicer, Sponger, Spy [Saga-PT] - by Chyntuck for Nehru_Amidala

A Very Serious Mission? [Saga-OT] - by Raissa Baiard for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Better than Expected [Saga-OT] - by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Ewok Poet

Caleb Dume’s Foofiest, Messiest, AWESOMEST LIFE DAY EVER! [Saga-PT] by Findswoman for Raissa Baiard

Sabaac Song and Dance [Beyond-Legends] by brodiew for Chyntuck

A Friendly Wager [Saga-PT] by Nehru_Amidala for BookExogorth

The Force Has (No) Favourites [Saga-PT] by Ewok Poet for Pandora

Symp’agrë [Before] by mavjade for Findswoman

Non-Star Wars

Roads Taken & Destinies Embraced [Tolkien] - by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Mira_Jade

Universal Language [Star Trek] - by Kurisan for WarmNyota_SeetAyesha

A Lesson Well-Learned! [Star Trek]- by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha for Kurisan

Each Knowing of Hunger [Tolkien]- by Mira_Jade for Anedon

What Makes Us Family [The West Wing]- by Briannakin for mavjade

Dreams of Turkeys [The West Wing] by Briannakin for mavjade

Sons of Feanor [Tolkien] - by Anedon for Mira_Jade

First Dates and Ugly Sweaters [The West Wing] - by mavjade for Briannakin

No Closer Orbit [Star Trek] - by Mira_Jade for WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    MAAAAAAVVVVV..... YOU KNOW WHAT I WANT!!!! DO I EVEN HAVE TO POST IT HERE?!?!
    [​IMG]

Okay, okay. In the interests of setting a good example in this time of giving...

I, Briannakin, am willing to exchange West Wing gift-fics.

I haven't decided yet if I will be participating in the SW exchange yet - but I'm pretty sure I will be (in the spirit of holiday giving). Unless there's another NSWFF fandom that pops up that I can give someone.

4. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    You don't have to post it here, but since we're being the example, I will do a West Wing exchange with you! :D

Like always, I'll do the SW exchange if the number of people participating are odd and not if the numbers are even.

Ewok Poet, Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I know, I know. I just wanted to be annoying and show an example of how a NSWFF exchange would work :p

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    MODS ARE BEING OT. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Yay for non-denominational and going up to the old-calendarist New Year's day. You're awesome!

Sent my request. I think I need therapy...8-}

Also, this time I cannot apply as a pinch writer - I don't have an idea of what life will be like in January and I'd rather work on finishing some overdue stuff instead.

Findswoman and mavjade like this.
  7. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Okay, will start making my request.

Findswoman , mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  8. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    You know what? I've been wanting to write, but I haven't thought of what. Maybe I'll get something fun and have fun. I'll PM.

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I will PM my SW request @};- and will also do a NSW exchange of the following: Trek, 2009 or TNG, specifically, and LOTR. :cool:

I do so hope [face_batting] that Raissa Baiard and Findswoman will be able to participate. @};- (I know diva is swamped). [:D]

10. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    I'm still getting the details together for my SW request (it's been too many years since I last did this, and I'm so excited! :D), but I wanted to throw out there that I would love to write a NSWFF fic-gift, as well. The Star Trek reboot series, the Marvel cinematic universe, or anything in Tolkien's world, are my old familiar standbys, and Hamilton, Stranger Things, and Voltron are my current interests. That said, I can branch out of my comfort zone as needed - I'm willing to write for almost anything if I know the characters. So, there's that. [face_mischief]

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Can I just SQUEEEEEEEEE! Cue the Pharrell Happy song! Mira_Jade -- let's exchange fic-gift thingies, for Trek or Tolkien. Either will suit me right down to the ground and up again! I'll PM. [face_batting] ^:)^

12. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha - That sounds awesome! I'll put my thinking cap on right now.

And, if anyone else wants a NSWFF partner, please don't hesitate to ask. There's always room for another story. :D

13. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Aw gosh, you’re very kind. @};- It’s always hard to pass this one up, and it’s such a wonderful tradition that this place has, but then DRL and piled-up projects and... The answer is probably, but I have to think on it some more just in terms of all the other stuff on my fanfic and RL plates. (The extra time extending into January may help, though...)

14. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Mine is sent :D

15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014

JUST.DO.IT.NOW.NOW.NOW. :p

Raissa Baiard ...you, too. You KILLED it with the dare.

16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    All right, fine. :p Arm twisted, PM sent. :)

17. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    But-but-but, I twisted it gently. :D

Looks like there's eight of us already, counting Briannakin. COME ON, PEOPLE, APPLY! More folks, more work for mavjade, I mean, more fun!

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Findswoman likes this.
  19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    How about two Ks: Kurisan and Kahara?

Okay, I shall stop tagging now. :p

Findswoman likes this.
  20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great additions. [face_batting] [face_party]

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    People can sign up without posting here, so keep that in mind. Also, if people really don't feel like they want to participate or can't due to time constraints, don't pressure them - it only makes them feel bad.

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Understood. :)

Just wanted to share the joy after this trainwreck of a year.

23. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I still owe poor Findswoman her prize for the Fan Fiction Awards; she's been waiting since February! (I feel bad, she's been so patient).

Maybe I could write "A Very Special Episode" of the Calrissian saga, would that be okay? :D

24. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Hey, gimme a chance to think about what I want! I’ve never done this before...and I’m on vacation! :p

25. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    I would like to write a NSWFF for the exchange as well, preferably in Tolkiens world.