main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST In defense of the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fugacity, Jul 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fugacity

fugacity Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2018
    I have to get my thoughts out, so my first post here will probably be controversial - sorry about that.

I'm 38, grew up with the OT but after all the films were done. Loved the ROTJ Luke as a kid. Tolerate the prequels for the story arc (and for giving us Qui-gon and Ewan's Obi Wan) despite their flaws. I like the ST, love Rogue One. I think that TLJ has flaws, but they aren't the ones that people who HATE it really have. Basically people need to accept that the treatment of Luke is good and probably even necessary for the story. He is humanized and I think his flaws are very believable considering what happened and who he is.

Anyway, here's a few points that are my defense of the ST.

1.) People wanted to just have the original cast get the band back together and have adventures. Not sure how to spin that into an interesting story.

2.) People imagined (probably because of EU junk) that Endor immediately ended the empire. Couldn't have been the case. The empire was vast and there would have been a process of re-forming the republic with lots of opposition and plenty of opportunity for opposition. There would be a lot of post imperials involved in a new republic and owuld have senators that would be first-order sympathizers.

3.) Luke being a super hero would have made any future interesting stories impossible. It seems like people really want a Luke that could never have allowed a new enemy to surface and come to power - again, where's the story to tell with that?

4.) Wanting all of your favorite characters to live through the ST would be like wanting anakin, obi wan and yoda to live through the OT.

5.) Too much back story to explain what happened over THIRTY YEARS would be absurd. Explaining the whole Luke/Kylo history or the entire saga of the first order coming to power or even Snoke's back story would be silly.

6.) People use their dislike to pick at things that require a suspension of disbelief. It' sci-fi fantasy. You have to accept that gravity doesn't' work right, hyperspace could always have been a weapon - who cares that it isn't used in weapons. The huge galaxy is always too small. Time lines don't work (luke w/ yoda in empire while han and leia are running), the force is sometimes so super powerful that you would never need a light saber, sometimes it's limited.

Bottom line for me is that for new stories there have to be new characters, you have to have the opportunity for new character arcs for old heroes, and you need to allow for real-world things to have happened and have new opportunities to have a story line that has any kind of weight. A trilogy where Han Luke and Leia defend a new republic with new a new Jedi order might sound like okay comic books, but I'm glad that kind of EU fan fiction did not make it to the big screen.

2. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    From one fellow poster to another... welcome!

If you're new I would suggest reading these threads first:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/read-this-your-ability-to-post-here-depends-upon-it.50049602/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...es-and-policies-thread-2018-edition.50048371/

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/a-call-for-civility-and-tolerance.50035599/

Also, just as a fellow poster here who also enjoys TLJ more than TFA, and who has seen a lot of new posters post regularly before reading what others are sharing first... I can tell you from first-hand witnessing that language like "Basically people need to accept that the treatment of Luke is good and probably even necessary for the story" likely won't lead to the kinds of discussions you were hoping for.

If you read some of the threads here you'll see that many in this community have moved beyond some of these talking points and some weren't ever here at all. From one poster to another... I also think reading the discussions that are ongoing first and reacting to those individually is probably a better way to get a handle on the opinions being expressed here at present.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Pretty much what Ender_and_Bean already said. Welcome to the forums; I hope you'll enjoy your stay! And please make sure to read up on the rules. :)
    Those links Ender posted are all good places to start.

That said, I'm locking this thread, since all this can go in other, already existing threads.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.