main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Marvel's Daredevil (Born Again, Again, Being Filmed Again)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    That tweet, if true, helps to support the theory that Disney are retracting their outsourced productions so they can bring it under their umbrella in some form. Makes sense and, frankly, is a superior move compared to CBS' Online Streaming service which seems to be driven by one or two brand new productions while the rest of it can be watched on home release.

2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Don’t Expect ‘The Defenders’ on Disney Streaming Service Any Time Soon (EXCLUSIVE)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
  3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's not terribly bad news, actually- except that it rules out a last-minute inclusion of any cameos in Endgame.

2 years downtime from cancellation isn't all that long- there were 3 years between Jessica Jones seasons and 2 years between Luke Cage seasons. Technically, Daredevil had 2 years between Seasons 2 & 3 as well though that production team was making Defenders in the skipped year and that really was DD S2.5 so I think you could still say DD effectively maintained an annual release schedule. Back before they expanded the production schedule and were on a schedule of only 2 series per year, we were basically expecting 2 years between seasons for these shows at a minimum.

I mean, it's not great that they can't pick it right up- but it at least leaves the door open for some kind of continuation on Hulu or elsewhere within a reasonable timeframe, assuming they can get the talent reassembled.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Also, Disneyflix is still not up until deep into next year, right? So that eats the first year. And they can film the things and effectively release them exactly two years after cancellation. So we could essentially be looking at a one year delay.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    That was my thought as well- it says nothing about production. These shows can still be made just not released right away. Which is fine, Disney + undoubtably would want to lead with the new stuff and the movies anyway. Bringing back the Defenders would work fine for a second year build up. Now the fact that Jessica and Frank might have to wait longer isn't great, but that may still work, it probably just means no cute cameos and it might affect something like having Hogarth appear in Iron First or Heroes for Hire. But it definitely doesn't mean automatic cancellation. I still think however that these shows will end up on Hulu if anywhere. Again, not necessarily a bad thing as Disney will have a better handle on Hulu as well by then given the fox deal.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and Diggy like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, even if we assume Marvel TV plays it safe legally and doesn't start production for 2 years (as opposed to filming in advance and releasing after the deadline) we're already almost 4 months in for some of the characters- plus both Luke and Matt have the advantage of already having scripts and storyboards, etc produced for their next seasons, so pre production development already has a head start if they stick to that content. And, even without that, it's basically just an extra year of downtime- which could be good for the stories since they wouldn't have to worry about butting up against Infinity War's timeline and remain safely a couple years in the past like they've been (even though that hurts their chances of appearing in a film).

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm up to ep 10 this season , .... god , I mean it was already grim but then we get Karen's story .... oy! there's some great stuff in this show , but at times the characters are unbelievably dumb and its way too depressing and violent .

8. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    Interesting with Disney pulling everything off Netflix here in Aus they signed a deal today to put there shows on the streaming service Stan

So I guess Australia don’t get the new Disney streaming service will be interesting to see if we get the new shows on Stan or just all the back catalogue

As for daredevil being canceled such a shame everyone involved did a great job

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Maybe for a while, but I bet it ends up there eventually. This could be Disney still wanting the content available, but further severing ties with Netflix.

10. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I was bummed that Daredevil was canceled but even before the cancellation I found myself wondering if I really had the appetite to continue watching Matt Murdock get the crap beaten out of him for the zillionth time.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    About to finally finish off Luke Cage this evening and find myself wanting to jump ahead to DDS3. I’m sure there’s no direct plot threads between the two, but are there any connections between DDS3 & IFS2 that I might miss if I skip ahead to DD and circle back to IF?

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Not a single one. IF doesn’t even really address its own plot points.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, started S3. On the 3rd episode. Whose apartment was that? I thought it looked familiar and they mention the govt seized it from “some Wall Street **** convicted of fraud”, but I can’t place it, assuming it’s someone we’ve seen before.

EDIT- hmm, nevermind, later in the episode Karen suggests it was owned by someone we haven’t seen before but is connected to other characters introduced here.

Still, they’re probably reusing the same apartment set from somewhere else. Guess there are a lot of multi floor apartments in NYC ;).

EDIT 2- And, of course, I’m still trying to process the timeline of these events in relation to PUN S1, since this season is obviously not long after DEF S1 but before the other S2 shows. Just a question of how deep into winter this season goes and what Karen’s awareness of Matt’s survival ends up being by the end. Guess I’ll find out over the next week or so.

Still, end of ep 3 includes a “past couple of months” reference by Matt, so that keeps things pretty close to DEF S1 as a starting point (Beyond the obvious DEF-set prologue to the season).

EDIT 3-
    Well, ep 4 answers the Karen question. Might still fit in before PUN S1 but would mean reinterpreting Karen’s comments to Frank as being evasive/lying.

Fisk’s line about how “The world is changing” and that the real heroes are being ridiculed/vilified could indicate a reference to Civil War as well.

And, yeah, the hallway fight. Holy hell. How could they ever top the complexity of that one?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    As a Series Finale, S3 is a decent wrap up. Evil is vanquished, Matt finally literally faces off with Fisk, the team is all one big happy again. Bullseye this season was great although honestly I really wish he had been in the suit (but the kid flashback with the baseball cap was a nice touch). And as crazy as bullseye was, he's Bullseye, he can be even crazier. Well at least we freakin' GOT Bullseye, y'know? Cool that they didn't entirely feel the need to explain how Dex got his abilities, only that Kingpin knew that there were "people with abilities". (which I always take as a larger MCU reference)

I wasn't a huge fan of the other FBI agent who took up a lot of screentime, when he died it was more of a shrug. Like there was a LOT of this guy, even at 13 episodes. Great twist when his boss starting shooting people, though.

And as awesome as the prison fight was I still think Bullseye/Daredevil taking out the Globe offices was the biggest season jaw dropper. Daredevil grabbing the club flying for Foggy and the slowwwww pan over was my favourite shot of the season.

Interesting that Bullseye went for Karen Page in a church which is how she died in the comics, when I saw the episode was titled "Karen" and she was at a church I thought she was going to bite it but they had the priest step in front of the club, in the comic Karen steps infront of Matt's club thrown by Bullseye.

I would have thought Fisk would kill the lady for his precious painting but apparently Bullseye did the job. Loved to see Fisk reduced to having his precious VANESSA taken away from him again as he begged to see her but you lose Kingpin. Mite unbelievable that Kingpin could take over the entire FBI but, whatever, freakin' Kingpin.

I'm pretty sure the name of the town Karen lives in is Mount Melodrama. Just down the road from Twin Peaks. their entire economy is based upon logging, diners and metaphors.

I will miss this show but I am not ready to say the Devil of Hell's Kitchen, the Man Without Fear (Great that Matt finally said that), is entirely dead yet and not with this cast either. Just, y'know, wait. A bit. 2021 Season 4 baby, whooo!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It is a pretty intense season- I went through this one in 4 days, which is the quickest I think I've done since maybe the first season? Given that I have even less time to watch things these days than I used to (plus Xenoblade Chronicles 2 demanding my time), I was surprised how much it pulled me in.

With everything going down in the church I half expected things to take an Elektra twist with Karen getting killed by Bullseye instead. "Karen" the episode could almost have acted as a prequel episode to the whole series had it not been for the short "now" segment at the end.

The final showdown in the penthouse was crazy (though the final deal between Kingpin and Matt seems a little too convenient/anticlimactic). Once Vanessa showed back up in the show I assumed it would end with Dex taking her out as retaliation for Julie once he found out, but I'm glad they didn't just fridge her like that (even though Julie was, quite literally, fridged, it was legitimately disturbing and shocking at how nonchalantly it was carried out when paired with the psychological manipulation it meant for Dex).

And the reference to Jessica Jones as the second to last line in the second to last scene was amusing as well.

Fingers crossed we still get S4 in a couple years. One has to assume they're holding onto the S4 story work for a reason. The world must know how they intend to top a freaking 11 minute one-shot through a prison riot. Seriously, the logistics of pulling that off are insane.

Timeline-wise, it looks like things have to go Defenders -> PUNS1 -> DDS3 -> JJ S2 -> LCS2 (still have to watch IF S2 to place that one). Defenders is summer-ish, PUN is clearly deep winter but presumably will have to be moved up to just being an early cold stretch in December or so (and if DEF is pushed forward to the late summer/early fall, that allows the "couple of months" between DEF & DD S3. DD S3 happens shortly after PUN in the winter (but not deep winter, since everyone seems alittle warmer than they do in PUN). And JJ S2 is obviously in the summer, with LC likely in the fall (though I have to double check the research, as maybe LC happens before JJ- doesn't seem like Danny waited more than a year to check in on Luke).

EDIT- I may have to rethink that timeline, actually- I forgot about Foggy's appearance in LC S2. Things might be more compressed, because Foggy seems to be working for Hogarth still at the start of DD S3 and definitely was in LC S2. So if he's left in DD S3 to rejoin Matt then those seasons (one could assume JJ S2 is in the same year summer too- I need to see what the firm name is that Foggy is working at now, if it's mentioned, if it's before Hogarth reforms her firm in JJ S2 or not) have to take place before DD S3 (and, by extension, PUN S1).

EDIT 3- So, skimming the other shows, I think what happens is that Hogarth may leave in JJS2 but her firm still remains with 40% of clientele. Foggy likely stays at that same job there to be in LCS2 & DDS3 (though they do not name Foggy's employment in either series). However, Foggy does say that Hogarth/etc's services are whom he works for at the end of Defenders and offers those services to Luke Cage should he need legal help (which he does in LCS2), but, that is not a problem, as the name would have changed between DEFS1 & LCS2 but not Foggy's employment.

The only tricky thing about the timeline is PUNS1 being clearly really winter while DDS3 is not so cold and trying to minimize the span of time from DEFS1 (which takes place around May) since it only seems to be "a couple months" that Matt has been recovering/hiding after awakening from his coma (which could add a couple weeks to a month to the timespan). There could be some overlap that could explain things a little but I need to reskim PUNS1 to be certain.

EDIT 2- Heh, with that compressed timeline, NYC had a crazy second half of 2016: earthquakes followed by the Midland Circle collapse, Civil War happens (albeit not in NYC), a street war engulfs all of Harlem, a high school class almost dies on a field trip in DC, a cargo plane full of Avengers gear crash lands on Coney Island, not-Jigsaw sets off several terrorist bombs and then the whole Fisk/FBI/Bullseye thing including a newsroom slaughter and a dead priest. And the whole battle of wizards happening secretly in Doctor Strange.

That didn't feel too out of place to me- almost every one of these shows have focused on at least one (or more) cops or agents as major supporting characters.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Watching the 1st episode. This is pretty good!

17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Be careful when you fight the monsters, let you become one.

I love this conversation between Matt and his priest.

Vanessa, she is quite charming.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Finished the 1st season. I only have one little teeny tiny nitpick. DD taking excessive amounts of damage was getting old. I do like he has armor now, but even then suspense and intensity can be held up without constant damage back and forth. Yes they gave him a meditation healing, but that doesn't make him Wolverine. Interesting enough the most recent DD comics had him reaching the end of his rope, all his damage just caught up to him and he had to quit(temporarily of course).

I like Kingpin's origin, making him a bit more sympathetic. Rabbit in a snowstorm, loved it.

Starting season 2.

19. queen of the jackalopes

queen of the jackalopes Jedi Master star 1

Jul 8, 2016
    Seeing this thread makes me want to watch Daredevil again. The first and third seasons were excellent. The second season was good, but the third season was soo suspenseful and I literally binged it in a week while working overtime.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I had to look up Urich's death. Seems there was a misunderstanding as to how long they could use the character so they killed him off. I did not see that coming as he has been a major DD character forever.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've started re-watching s3. It's a very good series, and the cast are excellent. Charlie Cox looks nothing like Matt Murdock from the comics, and I would have said he was all wrong, but he's just so unexpectedly good in the role.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Elektra! :cool:

Matt and Karen kiss he goes home, is obviously happy, having a drink. And I thought, "C'mon, end on a happy note for DD." Then BAM! Elektra.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh let's see, Fisk bench pressing without a spotter, 5 plates on each side, that 495 pounds. Nice.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Kinda sucks they could not get a Bullseye developed to kill Elektra, but oh well. I see here season 3 is starting as the Born Again storyline. I own that in collected form from the late 80's.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Ah so, Dex is Bullseye. The showdown between the two in the news room was cool. I did not care for some director's need to have him throw scissors just over his shoulder as if a simple stab would not have sufficed because hey, ya gotta show that it's Bullseye or whatever.