main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge The Kessel Run 2024 | 12 Weeks, 11 Prompts, 1 Wild Fanfic Challenge | Thanks for a fantastic Run!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ViariSkywalker, Jan 1, 2024.

Tags:
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Do we know what time prompts will post each week?

2. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    As soon as I get back home from dropping my kids off. ;)

3. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Drive safe. I suppose I can do the work I’m being paid for for a while.

4. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And this is where I have to say thank you, again, for taking time from RL to run this challenge! We're here when you are, so please don't ever feel pressured to rush! [face_love] [:D]

5. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    [​IMG]

Greetings, everyone! It’s January 8th, and that means it’s time to kick off the third annual Kessel Run! [face_dancing] As this is the first week of the challenge, I have not one, but three prompts for you:
    1. The long vignette (2,000+ words) that is due at the very end of the challenge;
    2. The substitute prompt that can be used in place of any one of the weekly prompts;
    3. The secret prompt for Week 1!

Ready? Here we go…

Long vignette
    (2,000+ words)

Over the next twelve weeks, you will write a story in which two or more characters exchange letters with one another. There should be no additional narrative framing – only the letters themselves! You may substitute a fandom equivalent (e.g. voice recordings, holo messages, email, etc.) if actual letters don’t fit the world you’re writing in. However these should not be real-time conversations, so no phone calls, comlinks, video chats, or anything of that sort. Let your characters express their thoughts at length, without the benefit of instant feedback from the person they’re corresponding with.
    • Word limit = minimum 2,000 words, no maximum limit
    • Entries due Monday, April 1st at 11:59pm EST (please wait until the beginning of Week 12 to post these responses!)
    If you have any questions about how to write for this prompt, don’t hesitate to ask. You have the next twelve weeks to craft your response, so be creative and have fun with it!

Substitute prompt
    (you may use this as a substitute for one of the weekly prompts)
    • Write a story between 300 and 1,200 words in which your characters must deal with that most classic of fanfic tropes: There Is Only One Bed

And now, on to the first secret prompt!

* * Week 1 * *
    • Write a story between 100 and 1,000 words that begins with this sentence: “The rain hadn’t let up in days, and all I wanted to do was scream.”
    • Word limit = 100-1,000 words
    • Entries due Monday, January 15th at 11:59pm EST
    And that’s it for now! Your Week 1 fics are due one week from today! Remember to post your entries in a new thread created for this year’s Kessel Run challenge, and then come back and post a link in this thread! If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or send me a PM. Happy writing, and I’ll see you all back here next Monday for your next prompt! ;) [face_batting]

Let the Kessel Run begin!
    :falcon:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    [​IMG]

Aw, yeah, now those are some prompts! [face_hypnotized] [face_dancing] [face_love]

*starts scribbling furiously*

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, the long vignette is wonderful! I've written a fic before where it was all letters amongst family and friends. :D
    "There is Only One Bed" -- the L/M feels with that one! [face_rofl] [face_mischief]

In thinking about snarky Anakin and the range of times and characters I wanted to focus on, I was able to come up with something pretty fast with the intriguing first line:
    "Medley of Unforgettable Happenings"

https://boards.theforce.net/threads...happenings-for-kessel-run-challenge.50059971/

8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I don't even need to open my idea repository to know that these prompts fit one of my non-Star Wars concepts To. A. Tee., so I'm moving that document from the "Long Challenge Ideas" folder to the "Current WIP" folder and getting to work straight away [face_party]

9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
  10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have started the Kessel run 2024 with archive adventures with Hessy Teack
    Week 1 Wet Files
    And with the rain giving us lot's of water in the Netherlands during the last months it was perfect for beginning this Kessel run.

11. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I am utterly baffled by this week's prompt but excited by the long vig prompt. Hopefully something comes to me for this week

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

12. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    Seconding this! :)

I have a question (already, I'm sorry. I'm working on the overthinking, I promise!). Anyway, does the entire story have to be in first-person POV or can the sentence be a line of dialogue?

Thank you again for hosting all this, and I'm so excited to see these first prompts and whatever comes next! :D

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    [face_mischief] :cool: [face_batting]

That's great to hear that the prompts fit so well already! :D

I'm rooting for you, Elli! You've got this! [:D]

No need to apologize, that's a good question! The story does not have to be in first-person POV, and that sentence can be used as a line of dialogue. As long as your first sentence is the required one, you're good to go! :D

And I'm excited to see what you guys all make of the prompts! [face_batting] [:D]

Awesome, I have added all of your threads to the index! :D Can't wait to see all the responses that come in. [face_dancing]

15. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Hmmm, sounds like a Jurassic Park/World prompt to me, but it can also explain the very beginning of Stray, since the cats were taking shelter from the rain, decisions, decisions. I thought that I would have to rejoin NaNoWriMo for this challenge, but it seems the Docs section on my laptop does have a word count option (I've just never used it), so I can write it where I usually do. [face_thinking]

16. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
  17. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
  18. amidalachick

amidalachick Chosen One star 5

Aug 3, 2003
  19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Locked out of here for the last 48+ hours and all I could think of was "but I'm going to miss the first prompt and I can't even let anyone know..."

Also - question - do the letters need to be replied to? Or can they be messages sent that the sender knows will never get through?

20. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Good question! As long as you show at least two characters writing to one another, they can do so knowing that the messages will never get through. I hope that helps! :)

And the index is updated! Fantastic to see what you all have been inspired to write so far. [face_batting]

21. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    @ViariSkywalker, would you please add me to the list of sign-ups? I've had to plow through some Real Life Stuff lately, but I think most of that is done now, and I should have more time and (I hope) more energy going forward.

22. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    My first entry, Rain Rain Go Away, is done. I've got it in this thread with it's decidedly plain title: (link)

23. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Done! Glad to have you joining in! :D

Excellent, your thread is in the index! ;)

24. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
  25. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Finally found a title and managed to get my thread up - Journeys through the Kit'verse

Edit: And I just realised I forgot to put Kessel Run in the title. Mod request for a title change sent!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024