main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Word Race! Post your final count by January 2nd. Survey Now Up.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Nov 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    My goal to start will be 200 words a day. I hope I can get some in tomorrow. [face_plain]

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I'm going to shoot for somewhere between 500-1000 words a day. The word race is making me feel much better for not having 'won' Nano!!

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm going to start by aiming for about 100–200 words per day and see how that goes. In the meantime, I'm frantically jotting down notes. Jitters as day one approaches! :eek:

ginchy, Briannakin and taramidala like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    My goal is 300-400 words a day, hopefully more in the first 2-3 weeks, since I won't be home much around Christmas.

ANYWAYS. Seeing that I am on the west (best) coast and it is now December for the majority of the world: READY SET AND GO (whenever it is midnight in your timezone!)

I'm not sure how much writing I'll get done after midnight and tomorrow, I have a conference tomorrow that I have to look half decent for, but after that, I have pretty much nothing going on for a couple days.

Findswoman and ginchy like this.
  5. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'll try for 1000 words a day, but I doubt I'll get that much as I'm still trying to edit my Nano effort.

Good luck everyone!

6. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Gee, you people set daily word targets? I feel very disorganised and Greek right now :p

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Chyntuck My word goal is more broad-ranging since I'm not working on a thingy with several chapters but more like flash-fics... I just want each to be longer than they usually are/have been. [face_thinking] I'd be satisfied with 300-500 but would really like to shoot for 700-800 plus. :)

Findswoman , Chyntuck and ginchy like this.
  8. Viridian-Maiden

Viridian-Maiden Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2013
    Chyntuck I'm not! I think it's helpful sometimes, but mostly my goal is just to get back in the zone/find momentum and hopefully spit out a couple of updates. Cheers!

9. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't know if I am going to get far in this race. I think my muse passed out from exhaustion at the NaNo finish line.

ginchy likes this.
  10. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm hoping for an average of ~300 words a day, which would be significantly better than anything I've done in a while.

ginchy likes this.
  11. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    339 for day one. Long on dialogue and short on everything else, but I'll take it. :)

12. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I did 618 today, but I think I hit a turning point in an action sequence that was tough for me. It's not my usual ginchy type of action, you see. [face_rofl] Anyway, I hope everyone got some writing in today, and this was a great idea!! Not so much pressure, but I'm still writing. I love it!!

13. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Word count for today: 0. I'll get burnt out if I try to write everyday, or try to write when I'm not in the correct mood. And visiting my grandmother today in a nursing home, where she's recovering from a hip replacement last week, did not provide the correct mood for writing.

Also, I need a plot. I think there's a plot bunny donation thread buried somewhere in the depths of this forum. I ought to try dig that up tonight.

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Well! For day one I somehow managed a whopping 241 words! :p Maybe I really will make it through this chapter I'm stuck on after all.

Question: when we post word count updates after day one, should they be cumulative (i.e., all the words we've written since day one of this race), or should they only account for the words we wrote since our last word count update?

Chyntuck and taramidala like this.
  15. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Found it! It now appears that my problem will probably be having too many plot bunnies rather than not enough. I suffer from severe indecisiveness... or at least I think I do. Am I indecisive? Define "indecisive". *walks away holding a conversation with himself*

Chyntuck and mavjade like this.
  16. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I got 781 words today, which shocked me. When I sat down to write I didn't think I'd get very far, but things started moving a bit. Not a ton, but I'll take it. :)

I don't know how Bri will want it done for sure, but I know in the NaNo thread we always do cumulative, though a lot of people will say something like "I wrote 200 words today for a total of 800" which I think works out well.

17. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    CUMULATIVE PLEEEEEASE. You can say both, as Mav said. But I don't do math (says the econ minor).

I'll probably update totals at the end of every couple days, though I'll try to post day 1 totals if I'm feeling better after my shower

I managed to write 301 words this morning. I was going to try to write more this evening, but between driving in the snow and dark and my conference, my head is wiped.

Edit: The list has been updated. If I ever miss anyone or mess up PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

I was hoping to get more done, but I'm not feeling the greatest. Hopefully tomorrow will be more productive.

Findswoman and Chyntuck like this.
  18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Look at the totals =D= mav is currently toppers with the number. :cool:

I got 310 done yesterday, the first.

I don't know how much today but tomorrow and Thursday and then over the weekend--Saturday and Sunday should be very productive. Weekends are usually my bestest writing times.

Chyntuck likes this.
  19. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I'm up to 2,135 words so far.

20. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Overachiever. :p

I honestly didn't get anything done yesterday - I got home quite late after riding the bus all the way across town to go pay my rent, then I came home to dozens of bookmarked articles Mom had left behind for me to read, lol. But I also feel like just totaling efforts across several days anyway, and only posting maybe twice a week.

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    :D When you're on a roll...

(I've tired myself out too much to respond to your PM - I will tomorrow!)

Chyntuck likes this.
  22. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Damn. I hate you. :p

Chyntuck and JadeLotus like this.
  23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Aaanddd then the very next post:

[face_laugh] My 'lead' was very short lived. :p

24. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    1,101 words tonight, on an RPG post that is now up over in the RPF. Not a bad start to the month.

Chyntuck and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Managed a nice 1492 words today and I finished a chapter I've been stuck on. It brings my total up to 1793!

I've been looking at my outline and I think it's better if I combine the next two chapters, so I'm only looking at 3 more chapters. So I'm REALLY hoping to get this fic done before Christmas, even with a holiday fic thrown in. I've got a few errands to run tomorrow, but I'm hoping for another productive day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.