main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ITT we get to know each other, goof around and socialize whilst bashing superheroes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Hogarth Wrightson, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I think some distinction needs to be made between comic books and newspaper strips. While it really wasn't until the advent of online media that the stuff in newspapers started plummeting in popularity (although people like Raymond and Schulz were already dead), comic books had experienced their downfall long before that (and experienced downfalls again). That's my understanding as a layperson, so maybe I'm wrong.

2. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I think so too, I think it was computer games that killed comics. Kids found some other stuff to do. Which is not bad in itself. It just is. I'm just trying to salvage the thing I have a vested interest in.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    At the risk of sounding like Scott McCloud, comics are perfectly fine right now, just weird and democratized and scattered all over the internet. Even with respect to the big publishers we're slowly beginning to see a shift towards online distribution - while Comixology numbers are a closely regarded secret for some reason, there are a few books that, if you follow the physical numbers and know the rough guidelines for what gets a book cancelled, are definitely surviving on digital sales. It's just kind of a transitional time for the medium.

Edit: That said I'm always kind of possessed of a strange optimism with respect to my preferred media formats and their ability to endure so take that assessment with a grain of salt.

SuperWatto likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I share your optimism with respect to my preferred media format.

[​IMG]

SuperWatto and Juliet316 like this.
  5. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Down with Superman! Not exactly a hot take, but still.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    They put their money in superheroes because they're very marketable, profitable and popular. The Silver Age proved that when the Martian Manhunter, the Flash/Barry Allen, Green Lantern Hal Jordan, the Atom/Ray Palmer, the JLA and the Fantastic Four were created. Sales and letter campaigns resulted in the revival of other heroes and expansion into additional books for certain characters and teams.

First, there's plenty of non superhero books out there. "The Invisibles" by Grant Morrison, "WE3", also by Morrison. "The Road To Perdition" and its sequels by Max Allen Collins. "The Unfunnies" and "War Heroes" by Mark Millar. "From Hell", "V For Vendetta" and "League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen" by Alan Moore. "Sandman" and it's spinoffs by Neil Gaiman. "Strangers In Paradise" by Terry Moore. "Locke And Key" by Joe Hill.

"Men In Black" as a topic concerns the films and not so much the comics, since there hasn't been any in years. The film discussion fell not because of the other superhero threads, but because the last film came out three years ago. If the rumored crossover with "21 Jumpstreet" happens, it'll come back up. "American Splendor" fell by the wayside because no one had anything to say and so it fell off the first few pages. You can probably do a search to revive it.

Charles Schulz is still popular as his works are constantly kept in print, both in the newspaper format and in book collections. Along with the animated versions of "Peanuts" characters being in constant rotation on television and on DVD, with a new film coming soon. So there's plenty there.

SuperWatto likes this.
  7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I appreciate the feedback, but I think I'll just wallow in my perceived loss some more. Grant Morrisson, Mark Millar, Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore are all British. That's four out of seven authors mentioned to show how American comics are doing fine. Sorta proves my point.
    Yes, obviously. Like boy bands. That's why every record company wants its own boy band, and all their music sounds similar. The fact that it's popular doesn't make it a good thing. Now I'm not saying publishers should do anything differently. The public should. Hence: the crusade.
    But that's what I'm saying: a field that was once revolutionary is now just regurgitating past glory. Where's the new great comic strip? Where's the new underground? Where's anything big except superheroes? I'll tell you where: in games.

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Robert Kirkman does "The Walking Dead". Garth Ennis had "Preacher" and is working on "The Boys", which is his critique of superheroes in general. "Red Sonja" by Gail Simone. "Lazarus" by Greg Rucka. "The Sixth Gun" by Cullen Bunn. "Rachel Rising" by Terry Moore. "Criminal" by Ed Brubaker. There's all kinds of stuff out there.

The public likes superheroes. That hasn't changed in seventy six years. That's why these films, television shows, cartoons and the like are doing so well years later.

They're out there. You just have to look instead of complaining. In terms of newspaper strips, there's always new ones cropping up alongside the favorites. Underground, well, that's always something to find.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *reaction .gif*

11. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Aquaman is lame as all hell and you're all a bunch of nerds...especially Kristie.

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Especially since it was Vincent Chase who protrayed him in the film version from a few years back.

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  14. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013

So, Aquaman's responsible for Sharknado? No wonder people hate this guy! :p Seriously though, I have developed an intense dislike for Batman and Wonder Woman. Batman's a billionaire. He's NOT a "regular" or "normal" guy. And (as a woman) I identify with Wonder Woman less than Kevin Smith identifies with Superman. Personally, I'd love to see Lois Lane kick both their asses.