main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST So J.J. Abrams wants Star Wars to feel real.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by PrincessKenobi , Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Well the delivery is important. Plus both Watto and Gunray are far more prominent. Ki Adi isn't really a hero, he's just a bit part. ThreeDeathstickProblem is right. Especially with the last part; none but the most determined to criticise would call Lucas or Star Wars racist, however that doesn't mean that some of the ideas and portrayals that came out of the film making process weren't ill advised.

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You're conflating delivery with the accent. It's the same basic accent Carson uses, it's just that the delivery for Gunray is louder, more aggressive... whereas Mundi is much more soft and gentle. Carson isn't an expert on syntax and dialect (oh this one is a Hong Kong street dialect and this is leaning more towards the intonation of the rural regions), he's just using a slight variation of the same stylised voice. He's an actor not a linguist.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Just curious... but what the hell does PT dialect/accents/suspected racism have to do with TFA feeling real?

AndyLGR and SgtTimBob like this.
  4. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Hopefully by real, he is not going to ditch exotic alien worlds like Felucia or aliens that we may seen in the PT like Sebulba.

Those are great elements of Star Wars, and aren't supposed to look real but they are what makes Star Wars, Star Wars!

my kind of scum likes this.
  5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Felucia is a very poor example of world types to use IMO. It looked very out of place and not very plausible.

As for aliens, we already know we're getting a great variety of aliens both in costume and mo-cap cgi form... along with puppets... so no concern there. (BTW - you say Sebulba wasn't supposed to look real? He was one of the best looking CGI characters in the PT... he looked as real as the CGI of the day allowed... well done work with Sebulba... the opposite of Dex IMO...)

6. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Nope I think Felucia is a perfect world, IMO anyway. Very Star War-ish to explore a world that colorful and beautiful is good to see as an Alien world.

I hate that we stick with something that looks like earth or aliens that looks like humans instead of weird creatures. I like imaginations more!

Star Wars is about IMAGINATIONS!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Will have to agree to disagree... as I thought Felucia looked horrible and out of place and not at all plausible. Was glad it was just a small clip, so it didn't really matter much.

8. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Yes, agree to disagree! Cuz I am a HUGE fan of imaginations run wild like that! Places that look like earth and aliens that look like humans would come off as very BORING to me!

Andy Wylde likes this.
  9. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I just want places that look actually plausible. Felucia is really the only one that didn't.

10. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Open-minded scientists will tell you planets like Felucia or Pandora (Avatar) are not that too far off possibility. Maybe small likelihood, but still possible in terms of Uncertainty.

It's only because we haven't the abilities to visit other planets in this universe that blinds us what's really possible out there!

11. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Already agreed to disagree...

12. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Looks like someone doesn't have a very open-minded imagination and refuses to accept that we know absolutely NOTHING about our universe to know what's possible in other worlds.

But I LOVE Star Wars a lot, for this very reason!

That's fine, agree to disagree, indeed.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    There's a difference in being open with your imagination and jumping the shark.

Star Wars as primarily a fantasy franchise already proves it's fans are EXTREMELY open minded. I just think there is a boundary that can be crossed that takes things too far.

The OT set the standard for Star Wars by showing a plausible environment that looked very lived in that everyone could relate to.

Without relatable environments, it becomes cartoonish instead and loses appeal.

LUH-3417 likes this.
  14. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Felucia looked great as part of a montage showing the breadth of the Galaxy during a terrible moment, but im not sure that environment would have stood up to being a major location

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    It's less about "what strange and wonderful new oddities await us in the universe?" and more about grounding the alien planets in specific Earth-like environments. Tatooine (desert), Yavin IV (jungle), Hoth (snow/ice), Bespin (clouds), Dagobah (swamp), and Endor (forrest) were all like that. Jakku (desert), Takadona (forests and lakes) and whatever planet the Starkiller Base is built out of (snowy mountains) fit that same aesthetic. Even Naboo was pretty grounded in that mentality, but with diversity between the Gungan and human halves of the planet. It's also possible to do these environments more than once and yet retain uniqueness from one planet to the next. Tatooine has a very different vibe to it than Jakku does, for instance. Maintaining a singular environment is also important, because really the Star Wars galaxy is less a "galaxy" and more a single world, with each of the planets serving as distinct individual locations. They're cities, deserts, towns, etc. rather than "worlds" themselves.

But going too far out there with the environments loses that grounding, and starts pushing the series a little bit closer to science fiction than Star Wars should perhaps be. Star Wars is less about what we don't know, and more about remixing what we do know. And practically speaking, you diminish your ability to shoot on location, and instead are forced to utilize closed sets, CGI, and miniatures (or some combination) to create the world as opposed to using them as tools to augment location shooting.

16. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    That article was more about whether or not an exomoon (like Pandora is) could have an atmosphere capable of sustaining life, and less about whether the kind of flaura and fauna seen in Avatar or the floating mountains may exist. That was about planetary physics, not biology.

And Star Wars is very much a fantasy series set against a science-fiction backdrop. However, if you over-emphasize the sci-fi window dressing, you start to lose some of the series' core.

Skillzwalker and EviL_eLF like this.
  18. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
  19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, as opposed to trusting the Christian Science Monitor of all things, here's an article from Yale's science journal saying the opposite.
    http://www.yalescientific.org/2010/...al-what’s-not-and-what-does-that-mean-for-us/

This is all moot, however, as Avatar is completely different from Star Wars. I don't care whether or not Avatar depicts an alien world that might possibly exist, as I don't need my science fiction to be realistic. And Star Wars is definitely not realistic either, but a world like Pandora does not fit the established aesthetic of the Star Wars series.

EviL_eLF likes this.
  20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Keeping the environment grounded helps keep the suspension of disbelief on much of the rest, which is far more important to be able to have that imagination working.

Avnar likes this.
  21. Jedi Dragon D

Jan 24, 2013
    agreed to disagree... [face_dunno]

22. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    (You closed the Stormtrooper thread on me you buggers. So, cut n paste.)

In New Hope, "The Clone Wars" was just one of those throw away references. The nature of Stormtrooper simply wasn't addressed. Bad guys. That's enough.

I feel like the armor helped make them easier to kill in a kids movie. Less human, so less violent for the viewer.
    And using droids and Clones in the Prequels pushed that further.

Now that's getting flipped. The Stormtroopers are getting humanised. They become people. I am curious to see what they do with that.

23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    SgtTimBob likes this.
  24. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    Meanwhile. Back on the topic of TFA feeling real...

EviL_eLF likes this.
  25. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Felucia isn't a very good example of the "imagination" of GL or Star Wars anyway. Wasn't the planet just taken from what ET's home world was supposed to look like?

EviL_eLF likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.