main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge 2022 Autumn Bingo

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Sep 21, 2022.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Autumn Bingo:

Autumn is upon us. The air is turning crisp. The leaves are turning vibrant shades of orange, red, and yellow. It is the season of pear and pumpkin spice. That means it's also time for another round of Autumn Bingo.

[​IMG]

How to play Autumn Bingo?

1. Choose a row, column, or diagonal with five autumn words from the Bingo Board below.
    2. Write a story of at least 500 words for either the Star Wars or Non-Star Wars fandoms inspired by or featuring the words from your chosen row, column, or diagonal.
    3. Post your story in the appropriate Star Wars or Non-Star Wars fanfiction board.
    4. Post a link to your story in this thread so others can read it.
    5. Finish one or more such stories, and you'll be a Bingo Winner.
    6. Finish five or more such stories, and you'll be upgraded to an Ultimate Bingo Champion.

Autumn Bingo Board:

[​IMG]

Autumn Bingo Rules and Guidelines:

1. All stories written for the Autumn Bingo event must comply with the overall fanfiction rules and guidelines for this site, but all you awesome people knew that already.
    2. All stories written for the Autumn Bingo event should have at least 500 words.
    3. All stories written for the Autumn Bingo event should be inspired by a row, column, or diagonal from the Autumn Bingo Board.

Autumn Bingo Dates:

Autumn Bingo Begins: October 15th, 2022
    Autumn Bingo Ends: November 15th, 2022

2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Bingo Winners:
    @devilinthedetails: A Black Cat at Autumn Festival using Graveyard+Gratitude+Black Cat+Pear+Bonfire

@AzureAngel2: At the stroke of midnight using Red+Mask+Cozy+Ghost Stories+Witch
    No murder in the library using Monster+Cauldron+Maple+Abundance+Leaf Pile
    The smile of the dead using Spider+Tombstone+Skeleton+Pumpkin Patch+Bat

@vader_incarnate: Skyclawer using Graveyard+Gratitude+Black Cat+Pear+Bonfire

@earlybird-obi-wan: Red roosters are dangerous using Red+Monster+Spider+Picking Apples+Graveyard
    The black cat using Graveyard+Gratitude+Black Cat+Pear+Bonfire
    Blacky using Cozy+Maple+Skeleton+Broomstick+Black Cat

@Findswoman: Follow Me Home using Graveyard+Gratitude+Black Cat+Pear+Bonfire

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
  3. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    The best season! [face_love] Or at least the one that I am most ready for every year. This is definitely going in the Ginormous Pile o' Prompts. :p (Been looking through that lately and realizing that I collect them with all the self-control of a squirrel gathering acorns. Not that I plan to stop.)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Kahara ... maybe you can combine one or more of the pile of prompts and make a story that fits in more than one challenge. :cool:

@devilinthedetails ,
    Couple of questions:

1. To finish more than 1 story, does that mean one would have to pick another row/column/diagonal set?

2. For multiple story submissions, do they each need a story thread? E.G., if I wrote 2 stories in SW, would they go in one thread or two?

@};-

5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Good questions! :)

To answer the first one, I would say that writing more than one story would mean picking another row, column, or diagonal for each new story. So, for example, if you wrote a story featuring Red+Mask+Cozy+Ghost Stories+Witch, you would have to choose a different row, column, or diagonal for the next story you write.

To answer the second one, I would say that you could put multiple stories for this challenge in the same thread. In that case, I would just ask you to post in here that you added another story to that thread and say which Bingo words you used for the story, and in the story thread itself, you might want to include an author's note for each story stating the words that inspired it. That will help me update the index and give everyone credit for all the wonderful autumn stories they finish!

For the most part, I would leave it up to the discretion of individual authors if they want to create multiple threads for their stories or stick to one thread in the manner I described above. The big thing apart from that would just be making sure to put Star Wars and non Star Wars stories in separate threads. For example, if someone wrote three Star Wars stories for this challenge, those Star Wars stories could all go in one thread, but if that person also wrote two non Star Wars stories for the challenge, those two non Star Wars stories would need to go in another thread in the Non Star Wars fanfic section.

Other than that, though, I would leave it to the freedom of writers how they want to organize their stories. So, if someone wants to write multiple stories featuring the same couple or characters for this challenge or considers the fact that the stories were written for this challenge to be a unifying theme, I am fine with the stories going in the same thread as long as Star Wars and non Star Wars stories are separated. But if someone wants to write independent threads for each story, I am fine with that as well!

Hopefully, that makes sense and isn't just a word salad:p Feel free to let me know in this thread or by PM if you have further questions, or if I've just added confusion with my rambling...

@Kahara Fall is my favorite season too, and I am excited to celebrate it with Autumn Bingo this year[face_pumpkin] I am happy that I could add to your extensive pile of prompts, and I must admit that I too am like an uncontrolled squirrel hoarding acorns for the winter when it comes to collecting challenges and prompts[face_laugh]I can just never resist a good challenge or prompt! Which results in me having some prompts I accepted like two years ago that I still haven't written about, but who is keeping track? Certainly not me[face_whistling]

6. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Aaaaand onto the Watch Thread list it goes. :D

Now all I need is a nice (self-filling) cup of Hot Cinnamon Spice tea and a pocket dimension where time runs much more slowly than it does in the real world, and I might actually be able to write something for this....

7. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    There's this scene from the Simpsons episode "My Sister, My Sitter" where Lisa's dishing out peas and Bart keeps saying "More. More. More." And then they have this exchange.

Just replace "eat" with "write", and this scene is me collecting writing prompts. [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

In all seriousness, this is such a lovely idea for a challenge. I'm a summer girl through and through, but fall is a very close second and this is a wonderful way to celebrate the season. [face_love] I'm really glad to see this back and hopeful that it will inspire lots of awesome stories and creativity for everyone!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  8. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @amidalachick [face_rofl] I am definitely going to use that "I didn't say I was going to write them" caveat whenever I put too much on my plate in terms of challenges going forward!

I'm glad that you love this idea for a challenge and think it is a great way to celebrate the season! Like you, I am super excited to see what stories it inspires for everyone! [face_dancing]

Ooh, a cup of cinnamon spice tea sounds delightful right now[face_coffee]

And a pocket dimension where time runs much more slowly would be useful in so many ways, not just completing challenges[face_laugh]

On that note, if anyone ends up writing a story after the end date of this challenge, that person can feel free to post a link to the story in this thread, and I can enter it into the index as an unofficial entry. So that does exist as an alternative to the pocket dimension!

9. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    So glad to see this back! I look forward to participating again this year. :)

10. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @JediMaster_Jen Yay, I'm so happy you are excited to see this back, and I would be so glad to have you as a participiant[face_party]

And I can't wait to see all the cool stories Autumn Bingo inspires this year[face_dancing]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I hope I can manage something. :) For I am very rusty. But then again the Bingo starts on the 15th October...

12. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @AzureAngel2 Yes, I very much hope you will feel inspired to write something for this challenge! You are right that it doesn't start until October 15th, and then continues through November 15th, so there is still a good deal of time for brainstorming and outlining before the challenge begins!

13. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    I find myself eyeing the columns that have the word "mask"...

[​IMG]

...for some reason.

14. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Also, does your story have to be new and made for this challenge? Or could you apply it to an ongoing fic?

15. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Ladies and gentlemen of the fanfic community, it is my pleasure to announce that the Autumn Bingo Challenge is officially underway, so please feel free to post your stories and link them here! [face_dancing]

Autumn Bingo will run from today through November 15th!

@Starith Vader does indeed seem well-suited for the columns involving mask. And there is that row that includes "red" as well. Red like the color of Vader's lightsaber...

As to your question, I would ask that the stories be new and made for this challenge, but you could always make the work part of a series or connected to an ongoing fic:)

16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    To kick us off, I have written using Graveyard+Gratitude+Black Cat+Pear+Bonfire a oneshot for the Avatar: The Last Airbender fandom entitled A Black Cat at Autumn Festival

17. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Okay, here I am from the depths of Mustafar castle with THESE three stories! Imagine, despite being ill, I was able to work through:

* red/ mask/ cosy/ ghost stories/ witch
    * monster
    / cauldron/ maple/ abundance/ leaf pile
    * spider/ tombstone/ skeleton/ pumpkin patch/ bat

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Well done, @AzureAngel2!

I was able to add your stories to the index:)

Mira_Jade , Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  19. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  20. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
  21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Well done to @vader_incarnate and to @earlybird-obi-wan! Wonderful to see two more stories written for the Autumn Bingo challenge! I've added both to our growing index. Keep up the good work, everyone!=D=

Let the productive vibes flow through you.

As a heads-up, I will be traveling to my family lake house this weekend. I will have Internet access, so you will probably see me around a bit, but I will be on my cell phone and doing things like creating links is kind of a pain for me on mobile. So I will most likely not get around to updating the index again until Monday.

So, basically, this is my long-winded way of saying, if you do post a link to a story here over the weekend, please don't be hurt or offended if I don't update the index with it until Monday. Feel free to remind me if I haven't updated the index by the end of the day on Monday, however. Sometimes, despite my best intentions I have a memory like a leaky cauldron:p

22. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @devilinthedetails have an absolutely fantastic trip—and if you like, I'm glad to update your index in the time you're gone! :)

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Thanks so much, @Findswoman![:D]

Definitely please feel free to update my index while I'm on vacation! :)

24. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Another funny one with Mace Windu, a black cat and the healers in the black cat
    AN. The red rooster is a famous symbol in Dutch firefighting

25. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I am back from my family's lake house. I had lots of fun looking at autumn leaves, kayaking on the lake, and hiking in the woods!

While I was away, I see that @earlybird-obi-wan was able to write another awesome story for the challenge! Well done!=D=

I have added it to the index now.

It's lovely to see how many stories this challenge has inspired so far:D