main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Submit your favorites HERE

Saga - Legends The Family Holos | Ἀνάγκη prequel, OC backstory, Imperial era | One-shot & short story collection

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Chyntuck, Apr 17, 2015.

1. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Indeed I am even more shocked now that Ewok Poet also experienced rough treatment like this as a child. Thanks that you both turned into "rich and vibrant artists and caring persons", my dear Chyntuck. [:D]

Nyota's Heart, Ewok Poet and Chyntuck like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm posting this from mobile so I can't check the exact dates, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority of those countries that banned corporal punishment in schools (by outlawing it in all schools, whether public or private and regardless of local government subdivisions where applicable) did so in the very recent past. To give a few examples, IIRC in (then West) Germany it was 1983 or 1985 at the federal level and in Canada it was as late as 2004 (and by "corporal punishment" I mean things like caning, not just being made to stand in a corner). Also, in the US, there are still approx 20 states that have not outlawed it and where the accepted (and regulated) practice is spanking with a wooden paddle until today. So either you gals just admitted that you are much younger than me, or you were lucky to be in schools where the teachers didn't do it.

EDIT: This discussion has been moved to the social thread.

AzureAngel2 and Kahara like this.
  3. Kahara

Kahara Force Ghost star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Lovely! It's really sweet how gentle Messiri and Yakooboo are with Ayesha, always looking to understand why she acts the way she does. And it's nice to see her beginning to make that connection that she is really wanted in their household -- which becomes clearer with her adorable reaction to the impending sibling.

[face_love] You just keep coming up with these scenes (in Ananke too, a lot of the time) that make my heart explode. Well, not literally. That would be messy. But you know what I mean. They are such a cute mother-daughter pair here. :D

Oh, this is wonderful! I love how Ayesha discovers her art -- and the lifesaver that that will be throughout her existence -- through her new family, and how it's intertwined with her making for herself a way of accepting this new little sibling (well, he won't be little for long, I suppose. :p) And, as other commenters said, that it makes her connection to wood and natural materials even deeper. [face_dancing] On a tangent, but I really admire how you've developed Ayesha's artistic life into a very believable and moving thing -- the depth and beauty of her expression just seems to leap off the page and I feel as though I'd know her work in a heartbeat if it were real, just from descriptions.

Also really liked the tidbit of her talking to the pup in her secret language. :)

And her determination to be there at the birthing, in spite of all the mixup and stress of the day. (Poor kid! It would be very scary to be left alone at that point.)

Just so sweet in all of the symbolism (already!) :D

The holo of them all together being taken is a great moment -- all the awkwardness of figuring out where to put everyone when Ayesha is so much shorter. [face_laugh]

Aww! [face_love]
    [​IMG]

4. Gemma

Gemma Jedi Master star 4

Dec 25, 2013
    Thank you for sharing that beautiful Awwwww pic for the inspiration -- it made me smile and touched my heart.

Nyota's Heart and Chyntuck like this.
  5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I'm exactly one month late in replying to these last comments, so I'll take advantage of having a bit of time this morning and answer now before I come across as even more rude than what I already am [face_blush] I wish I could say that this also means that the next post is coming soon, but that would be overoptimistic -- I have an idea on how I'm going to write it, but I doubt I can manage the time :(

Gemma I'm happy you liked the picture, I loved it too. It's just adorable [face_love]

Kahara Thanks for taking the time to review in such detail, and for all your kind words [:D] Your comments are, as usual, either spot-on or far too flattering for me to be able to think of an appropriate reply, so I'll limit my answers to two particular points.
    The magic of these boards, with all the interaction and the challenge system, is that it forces me to build in more detail my characters' backgrounds. When I started writing Ἀνάγκη I had already decided that the process through which Ayesha became an artist was intensely personal and related to her adoptive family as well as her birth family, but I hadn't really worked out the details of what made her who she is. I really have to thank the OC Revolution thread for motivating me to look into her childhood, because that made me not only write these short stories but also rewrite bits and pieces of Ἀνάγκη (especially upcoming chapters when Ayesha begins to rediscover her art). The problem of course is that now I feel that I need to have worked out every detail of my characters' past before I can write them, and it's going to make my life as a writer a lot more difficult :p

That was another aspect of Ayesha's past that I needed to explore a bit more, because I realised that when I write Ayesha as being at peace with herself, it's always in moments when she doesn't feel like she's the odd one out. This came a little as an afterthought, because it isn't really an issue in the very first chapters of Ἀνάγκη but it soon becomes a recurring motif (e.g. with the dance recital in the Emperor's auditorium) even if I was doing it unconsciously. I started working explicitly on this theme with Tree Dweller and then I understood that I needed to dig into the details, because the real issue isn't how others perceive Ayesha (like in this case, the village holographer who isn't used to dealing with Human children) but how she thinks of herself. So once again, thank you OC Revolution, you were really helpful about this :)

And thanks again to everyone who dropped by to read and/or comment on these stories [:D]