main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    Apologies in advance for what became a bit of a ramble, but...

For me personally, this is where I'd invert my usual approach to characters and focus on what they do, their job, its role in relation to the story, their interests, hobbies, pursuits, etc. rather than their thoughts, feelings and emotions. Normally I'm all "what you do doesn't matter, it's who you are that counts" but with Vulcans (and others) you have to latch on to something to distinguish them, and if it can't be their emotional core or personality, then it's gotta be something else, something tangible. Which is why I reckon Tuvok felt fresh, because he was a security officer who could use his logic to get tactical, and apply that specific skillset when teaching and advising others. We'd never really seen that before.

Additionally, you could use their interactions with other, more distinct characters to introduce brief flashes of sub-surface personality (or its equivalent). Have others around them poke, prod, and occasionally peel back the layers, if you ever feel the need to. Some of Tuvok's best moments were in reaction to things like Paris pulling pranks on him, or Neelix trying to befriend him, or Janeway seeking insight on a tricky moral issue.

The best thing about writing is that you can address what's going on in somebody's head without having to "show" it. You can present their thoughts on a subject or situation without dwelling on a reaction; just have 'em thinking things like, "this makes sense" or even, "if I had emotions, then I think I'd be angry" and it'll convey plenty.

2. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I am torn between finishing the story I am writing and rebooting the trilogy it is a part of. The story would fundamentally be the same, but I want to change some creative choices I regret. has anybody ever restarted a story near the end, or is it better to see through what you’ve already done? (My story is the final installment of a trilogy I’ve been working on for four plus years)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think in the situation you describe, I might finish the story I started, and then I could always go back and create an AU of that story. Diverging from the original story wherever I want to make changes.

4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I have pretty much completed an entire story, then decided "this is rubbish." and in a moment of self irritation, I deleted it.
    But a week later, the story was still in my head and I wrote it all down again from scratch, pretty much as it was before.

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    My thought is that, even with the redo, my general trajectory is leading to the same place, and the creative decisions that annoy me are present to the end. I think I am going to reboot it. I have a good head start already and more room to plan everything in advance before I publish any of it.
    Thanks for the advice everyone, really appreciate it and all of you.

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sticking the landing can be so tough.
    You can have characters and a stage and an drama, but how do you stop your runaway train in a satisfying way?

The screenwriters for Game of Thrones (and it seems like G.R.R. Martin too) know that crisis well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
  7. Happy Sando

Happy Sando Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2023
    Above anything else, all I'll add is that you should never, ever delete anything you write. If you don't like something you've produced, put it in another document, start a new notepad, whatever you need to do to get away from it... so long as you stop short of destroying your own hard work. Because trust me, it's either A: better than you think (and you just need a little distance to recognise that) or 2: gonna be useful again someday, as a reminder of progress or to compare with your second draft.

GregMcP, DarthIshtar , Kahara and 6 others like this.
  8. Death Ray

Death Ray Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2024
    I've had a notion of creating a fan fic in the form of a comic strip, but I don't see anyone else telling their stories with pictures. Maybe no one has wanted to, but is it verböten?

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Hello and welcome, Death Ray! I moved your question to our writing advice thread. You’re right that we don’t have a lot of fancomics here, but they aren’t verboten at all; we have at least one member here, @Starith , who has posted some awesome ones. So I say go for it! You may post them in either our Fan Fiction—Before, Saga, and Beyond forum as you would any other story (just be sure you label it as a fancomic in the thread title, just because it’s so different from our usual fare) or our excellent Fan Art forum—or even cross-post in both. Hope that helps, and good luck! :)

Starith, Tarsier, Happy Sando and 5 others like this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Jul 11, 2014
    We're three months into 2024 and to give myself a post-KR kick in the pants I thought I'd check my progress on my 2024 resolutions. So:
    1. I haven't even opened any of my multi-chapter WIPs since I wrote my goals. I definitely need to start looking into it if I want to get anywhere near achieving this goal :p
    2. I made substantial progress on a story for one of my one-shot threads, I mapped out a second one and I have a fairly good idea for a third one. Writing and posting these three one-shots is my mini-goal until the end of June.
    3. Goal achieved! I wrote my entire Kessel Run in NSWFF, and that includes a crossover which is something I hadn't even considered trying before. I do have an idea for another NSWFF series for the Olympics this summer, but I may set it aside until next year in order to make progress on my other goals.
    4. There's, ahem, a Mini-Game I signed up for fully knowing that it would take me out on a tangent, but it should (hopefully) be a short tangent. There's also the Dare Challenge, which always takes me out on a tangent I can't resist following to the very end. I need to stop signing up for prompts that demand to jump to the top of my list [face_blush]
    5. About reviews, I could have done better, but I could have done worse too. I have a fair few reviews to catch up on, but with the KR going on I didn't fall too far behind, so I'm giving myself a pat on the back and saying "keep it up."
    What about the rest of you, how have you been doing? (The discussion about 2024 resolutions begins here if you want to find your post).

11. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Let's see... I haven't posted any fics yet this year but it's still the first half and I've got some plans. Definitely haven't done a review every week, though I have reviewed a bunch of things some weeks. Overall, I'd say it's a work in progress. :p