main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Fanfiction Summer Olympics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Jun 21, 2020.

1. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Fanfiction Summer Olympics:

Since the world can’t come together in Tokyo this summer, I thought it would be fun to host an Olympic Games of our own this summer.

[​IMG]

A few years ago, there was a Fanfiction Olympics hosted that was different from this one, but this is a separate event with a different format and rules.

This Fanfiction Summer Olympics is a competition where authors attempt to complete their choice of a triathlon (three writing events), a pentathlon (five writing events), or a decathlon (ten events) for a character, couple, family, or friendship they have selected before the competition closes.

Nota bene: if you pick a certain character, couple, family, or friendship, that character or those characters should be the main focus of your stories, but you are certainly welcome to include other characters as well. For example, if you are writing Han/Leia for the Star Wars Pentathlon, Luke is welcome to show up as well in your story or stories. When picking a couple, you may also write about a non-canon couple if you'd like, and when writing stories, you may write in an AU if you'd like as well.

For the triathlon, pentathlon, and decathlon there will be Star Wars and non-Star Wars categories in which authors may enter. This means the available events are as follows: Star Wars Triathlon, non-Star Wars Triathlon, Star Wars Pentathlon, non-Star Wars Pentathlon, Star Wars Decathlon, and non-Star Wars Decathlon.

To enter the competition, simply post in this thread with your intention to enroll in a particular event in the Star Wars or non-Star Wars category and list what character, couple, family or friendship you would like to use for each event. You may enter multiple events. For example, you could announce your intention to write about Luke Skywalker for the Star Wars Pentathlon and Lily/James in the Harry Potter fandom for the non-Star Wars Decathlon. You can also edit your post to add new events that you’d like to sign up for as the competition continues.

In your post, you can provide a link to your story thread or threads. You should keep all the events for a particular competition that you are entered in confined to one thread for easy reference and include the events in separate posts. For instance, if you are writing for the Luke Skywalker Pentathlon, all your writings for that event should be in one thread, but you should have another thread for your Lily/James submissions for the non-Star Wars Decathlon in another thread in the non-Star Wars category. Likewise, if you were to decide to write a Star Wars Triathlon for Han Solo, you would create yet another thread for that. You should also update your post with information on the different events that you have completed as you go along so that everyone can see and celebrate your progress.

Multiple people may choose to write about the same character, couple, family, or friendship for their category (for example, multiple people could write about Han/Leia for a Star Wars Pentathlon, or multiple people could write about Anakin Skywalker for a Star Wars Triathlon). The main point of having people choose the couple or character they wish to focus on is to provide an extra element of challenge to this competition.

At the end of the competition, anyone who has finished an event in a particular category will be considered a champion and a virtual gold medalist in that particular category. Anyone who completed multiple parts of an event but did not completely finish the event will receive a virtual silver medal in that category. Anyone completing one event in a particular category will receive a virtual bronze medal.

[​IMG]

The competition opens: July 1st, 2020.

The competition closes: September 1st, 2020.

Medal Ceremony: September 2nd, 2020.

Event Choices:

Star Wars and Non-Star Wars Triathlon (parts of event may be completed in any order):

400 Word Cross Country: 400 words about your character, couple, family, or friendship with any theme.

110 Word Hurdle: 110 words in which the name or names of your character, couple, family or friendship aren’t mentioned.

Prime Time Coverage: 500+ words of action, adventure, or excitement with your chosen character, couple, family or friendship as the star.

Star Wars and Non-Star Wars Pentathlon (parts of events may be completed in any order):

400 Word Cross Country: 400 words about your character or couple with any theme.

110 Word Hurdle: 110 words in which the name or names of your character, couple, family, or friendship aren’t mentioned.

Prime Time Coverage: 500+ words of action, adventure, or excitement with your chosen character, family, friendship or couple as the star.

Plus your choice of any two events from the Star Wars and Non-Star Wars Decathlon found below.

Star Wars and Non-Star Wars Decathlon (parts of events may be completed in any order):

400 Word Cross Country: 400 words about your character, couple, family or friendship with any theme.

110 Word Hurdle: 110 words in which the name or names of your character, family, friendship or couple aren’t mentioned.

Prime Time Coverage: 500+ words of action, adventure, or excitement with your chosen character, friendship, family or couple as the star.

1500 Word Dash: A 1500 word story about your character, family, friendship or couple with any theme.

100 Word Sprint: A 100 word drabble about your character, family, friendship or couple using any theme.

AU Archery: A story of at least 100 words set in an alternate universe with your character, family, friendship, or couple.

Fantastical Fencing: A story of at least a 100 words involving your character, family, friendship or couple in which something fantastical happens.

4x100 Relay: 4x100 words on the four types of love (affection, intimacy, friendship, and charity) as experienced by your character, family, friendship or couple in one post.

200 Freestyle: A 200 word story about your character, family, friendship or couple with a free choice of any theme.

Single Sentence Shot Put: A story told in a single sentence about your character, family, friendship or couple.

Competition Rules:
    1. All stories should comply with the fanfiction rules of this site, but I’m sure all you wonderful people knew that already.
    2. All word counts for stories should be followed as exactly as possible in order to ensure that the competition remains challenging.
    Questions and Answers:

Q: Does a story have to be "new" and written specifically for the Summer Olympics to be used for the Summer Olympics?

A: In a nutshell, yes, I would like all the stories posted for the Summer Olympics to be new, but don't be too intimidated. Remember that if you sign up for a particular triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon, you can still become a bronze or silver medalist if you finish a story or two from that triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon, so any progress you do make toward finishing your triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon will be celebrated and acknowledged!

Q: Can stories written for the Summer Olympics be combined with other challenges (e.g. 4x100 Relay also being written for the OTP Challenge)?

A:
    From my end, I'm fine with someone "doubling dipping" with a particular story by making it work for this event and other challenges. I would still like anything written for this challenge to be put in its specially made thread for easy finding, though. For example, if someone were writing an Anakin/Padme Decathlon and the 4x100 Relay was also used for the OTP Challenge, I'd like for the 4X100 Relay to be in the thread the author made for the Anakin/Padme Decathlon. Also, since I don't want to step on any toes or violate the rules of any other challenge, I'd say to double-check with whoever is running the other challenge you plan on "double dipping" with just to make sure that they are fine with it. I'll put the responsibility of double-checking that with each individual competitor, however, and if a story that "double-dips" is posted for this Summer Olympics, I'll assume that they did get such approval from the person running the challenge.

Nota Bene: @Findswoman has graciously given blanket permission for anyone to "double dip" between the Summer Olympics and any of the challenges she manages under her username or via sock accounts, including the OC Revolution, OTP Thread, and Fanon Thread. This means that anyone looking to "double dip" with any of those challenges and the Summer Olympics has the green light from both sides.

Q: For the 4x100 Relay, what are the definitions for affection and intimacy, and how do they differ? How intimate does intimacy have to be?

A:
    I'd define affection as that sort of warm, fuzzy feeling of fondness. Affection could be for a family member, a friend, or a pet.

I'd define intimacy as a deep feeling of closeness to someone; a sense that you know someone profoundly and that person knows you. It can be felt between people in a romantic relationship, but also between parents and children or between siblings or between friends. It doesn't necessarily have to be physical intimacy in my opinion.

I'll also say that you can be quite open-ended and flexible with the definitions. Ultimately it is about what intimacy or affection means to your character, couple, family, or friendship if that makes sense.

Q: Do signups close on July 1st when the competition begins?

A:
    Since this is such a long competition, I will leave signups open after July 1st, and allow signups until the closing date, though, obviously, the nearer you signup to the closing date, the less time you have to work on your events. This also holds true for people who might have signed up already but want to add another event. For instance, if someone signed up to write a Luke Pentathlon but wants to write a Han Triathlon as well, that person can signup after July 1st for the Han Triathlon. I know it can be hard to predict in June what your August schedule will look like so I think having signups that go beyond July 1st will help with that.

Q: Can we start planning before the competition officially opens?

A:
    Absolutely. Everyone is welcome to plan and outline before the official start of the competition. Consider it training and warmups for the Olympics!

Q: Do titles count toward word counts?

A:
    I don't generally include titles in calculating a word count, but you may as long as you are consistent throughout the competition.

Q: Can we start writing the actual stories before the official opening of the competition?

A:
    You may begin writing your stories, but please wait to post them until the competition opens officially with a post in this thread on July 1st.

Further Questions:

If you have any further questions about this Fanfiction Summer Olympics, please feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM, and I will do my best to address any questions you might have.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  2. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Opening Ceremony and Parade of Athletes( a.k.a. Index of Competitors):

Star Wars Triathlon:

@Jâd Sphera: Luke Skywalker-Reflection, Retreat, Marooned

@Starith: Luke Skywalker-Resonance

@brodiew: Han Solo-On Falcon's Wings

@JediMaster_Jen: Rey/Poe-A Sea of Time

@Da'niel: Ahsoka Tano-SW Triathlon Ashoka Tano

Star Wars Pentathlon:

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Luke/Mara-Destined in All Ways and Times

@devilinthedetails: Obi-Wan Kenobi-The Negotiator

@Seldes_Katne: Captain Tarpals-Out of the Mists

@earlybird-obi-wan: Family from Moniron-They Met on Moniron

@Anedon: OC Alec Fenton-Down and out on Coruscant and Corellia

@JediMaster_Jen: Temiri Blagg-The Tales of Broom Boy

Star Wars Decathlon:

@Kit' : Family of Scoundrels (OC's Kit, Del, Estra, Nicco, Zallie and Co.)- What's in a Game

@devilinthedetails: Padme Amidala- Naboo's Queen

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701: Poe/Holdo (Poldo)-Meadowlark

@Thumper09: OC's Darin Stanic and Quiver Yanilr-Stuck with You

@Raissa Baiard: Ezra Bridger-To Infinity and Beyond

@TheRynJedi: Alloy (OC's Sennah, Danyal, etc.)-Musicians for Hire

@Mira_Jade: Skywalker Family (AU as appearing in Songverse)-All This to Say

@Mira_Jade: Ahsoka Tano-I'm Reaching the Light

@amidalachick: Leia-Walking Free in Time

@Adalia-Durron: Kyp Durron/Adalia Tehanis-Seasons in the Sun

@Anedon: Wilhuff Tarkin-Hunting is the Most Dangerous Game

Non-Star Wars Triathlon:

@devilinthedetails: Bill Weasley (Harry Potter)-The Curse-Breaker

Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha: Jim Kirk/Audrey Pearce-Fun & Melty Montage

@devilinthedetails: Edmund Pevensie (Narnia)- The Justified

@mavjade: Jim Holden (The Expanse)-Busy Living

@brodiew: All in the Family (Stranger Things)

@brodiew: Alfred the Great- Frustrating Subjects (The Last Kingdom)

Non-Star Wars Decathlon:

@amidalachick: Steve Harrington/Billy Hargrove (Stranger Things)-Songs That We Had Never Heard

@amidalachick: Lisa Cuddy (House)-I Saw Her Today at the Reception

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  3. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Index of Champions:

In the Star Wars Triathlon:
    @Jâd Sphera
    @brodiew
    @JediMaster_Jen
    @Da'niel

In the Star Wars Pentathlon:
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    @devilinthedetails
    @Seldes_Katne
    @earlybird-obi-wan
    @Anedon
    @JediMaster_Jen

In the Star Wars Decathlon:
    @devilinthedetails
    @Thumper09
    @Raissa Baiard
    @Adalia-Durron
    @Anedon
    @Kit'

In the Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    @devilinthedetails

Index of Silver Medalists:

In the Star Wars Triathlon:
    @Starith

@Cowgirl Jedi 1701
    @TheRynJedi
    @Mira_Jade (2x)

In the Non-Star Wars Triathlon:
    @devilinthedetails

In the Non-Star Wars Pentathlon:
    @brodiew (2x)

In the Non-Star Wars Decathlon:
    @amidalachick

Index of Bronze Medalists:

@amidalachick

In the Non-Star Wars Decathlon:
    @mavjade

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Love it!

Sign me up for the Star Wars decathlon with The Family of Scoundrels!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  5. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Yay, my first sign up! [face_party]

I'll add you to my list.

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh dear. Ooops! In Star Wars there are too many families of scoundrels.

I was talking about my collection of OCs - kit, del, estra, nicco, zallie and co.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I shall blame it on the very early hour of the morning

7. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    No problem. I'll add your OC names to index so everyone knows who'll be the star performers in your Decathlon!

8. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I want to do a pentathalon if that's how you spell it [face_laugh] for 2 couples.
    For SW, Luke/Mara and for NSWFF, my focus will be Jim Kirk/Audrey Pearce.
    The 2 events from the Decathalon I want to add are: "AU Archery" and "Fantastical Fencing".

@devilinthedetails let the record show, you ROCK with unabashed CAPSLOCK! [face_laugh] [:D] !!

9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    For myself, I will sign up for a Star Wars Pentathlon featuring Obi-Wan Kenobi and a Star Wars Decathlon starring Padme Amidala.

In the non-Star Wars category, I will write a Triathlon with Bill Weasley from the Harry Potter universe, and a Pentathlon with Edmund Pevensie from the Narnia universe.

Edmund Pevensie Non-Star Wars Pentathlon: The Justified
    -The Traitor and the Great Lion (400 Word Cross Country) completed.
    -No Greater Forgiveness (Single Sentence Shotput) completed.
    -Promises of Princeship (110 Word Hurdle) completed.
    -Outside Time as Understood in England (Fantastical Fencing) completed.
    -Stone Courage (Prime Time Coverage) completed.
    -Pentathlon completed 7/19/2020.

Padme Amidala Star Wars Decathlon: Naboo's Queen
    -Never Looked More a Queen (Single Sentence Shotput) completed.
    -Queen Someday (400 Word Cross Country) completed.
    -Four Forms of Love (4x100 Relay) completed.
    -Scars Everywhere (110 Word Hurdle) completed.
    -What Dreams May Come (Fantastical Fencing) completed.
    -Sand, Sky, and Glass (200 Freestyle) completed.
    -Chasing Glowbugs (100 Word Sprint) completed.
    -Light and Life (1500 Word Dash) completed.
    -Granted Clemency (Prime Time Coverage) completed.
    -Seeking Sanctuary (AU Archery) completed.
    -Decathlon completed on 8/15/2020.

Bill Weasley Triathlon: The Curse-Breaker
    -Flower and Fang (110 Word Hurdle) completed.
    -Promise of Help (400 Word Cross Country) completed.

Obi-Wan Kenobi Pentathlon: The Negotiator
    -Stuck in the Present (110 Word Hurdle) completed.
    -Tragic Irony (Single Sentence Shotput) completed.
    -Peace and Wisdom (400 Word Cross Country) completed.
    -Hope is Lightest When It's Darkest (Prime Time Coverage) completed.
    -Blinding Light (Fantastical Fencing) completed.
    -Pentathlon completed 8/28/2020.

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha I'm so happy to have you aboard, and I must admit that the AU Archery and Fantastical Fencing sound like some really fun events that could inspire really creative stories, so I'm so excited to see what you'll come up with for those! And, thanks. This whole community rocks in my opinion[face_dancing]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
  10. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    YES!! THIS, EXACTLY!! :D

I really want to take part in both the SW and Non-SW sides, but just a quick question. When we pick a certain character or couple (say, for example, Leia), do all the stories have to feature only that character/couple or can other characters show up (say, an H/L or a Luke & Leia story for the 400 Word Cross Country in a Leia triathlon)? Sorry if that's a really stupid question!

This is SUCH a fantastic idea, anyway, and I'm already so excited to see the competitors list! [face_dancing]:D

11. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @amidalachick Thanks! I'm glad you found this a fantastic idea, and I'm also excited to see all the competitors we'll have. This should be a fun event:D

I'm so happy you're thinking of joining in on both the SW and non-SW sides. That's an excellent question. If you pick a certain character or couple, that character or couple should play a central role in the stories you write but that character or couple doesn't have to be the only character or characters in the stories. So, if you write a Han/Leia story, Luke is more than welcome to show up and join in on the fun. I hope that answers the question!

12. Starith

Starith Jedi Master star 3

Apr 5, 2020
    Sorry if this is a noob question, but does your story have to be new in order to use for this? As in, made particularly for this event?

13. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Are we allowed to combine our entries with other challenges, for example could the entry for the 4 X 100 relay also be used as an entry for the OTP challenge?

Kahara, Kit' and devilinthedetails like this.
  14. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Starith Excellent question! I would like all the stories posted for the Summer Olympics to be new, but don't be too intimidated. Remember that if you sign up for a particular triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon, you can still become a bronze or silver medalist if you finish a story or two from that triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon, so any progress you do make toward finishing your triathlon, pentathlon, or decathlon will be celebrated and acknowledged:)

@Raissa Baiard Another great question! :)From my end, I'm fine with someone "doubling dipping" with a particular story by making it work for this event and other challenges. I would still like anything written for this challenge to be put in its specially made thread for easy finding, though. For example, if someone were writing an Anakin/Padme Decathlon and the 4x100 Relay was also used for the OTP Challenge, I'd like for the 4X100 Relay to be in the thread the author made for the Anakin/Padme Decathlon. Also, since I don't want to step on any toes or violate the rules of any other challenge, I'd say to double-check with whoever is running the other challenge you plan on "double dipping" with just to make sure that they are fine with it. I'll put the responsibility of double-checking that with each individual competitor, however, and if a story that "double-dips" is posted for this Summer Olympics, I'll assume that they did get such approval from the person running the challenge.

15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    @devilinthedetails , this is a really fun idea! I'll have to think about whether I want to join in; I think it's likely that RL will oblige me to take the picnic-blanket approach on this one, but it's a fantastic-looking challenge concept, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what will come out of it! :cool:

For the record, if it helps, I am totally fine with anyone "double dipping" between this challenge and any of the challenges that I run via a sock (OC Revolution, OTP Thread, Fanon Thread), or with any of the non-deadline ones I've done under my own username. :)

Kahara, Kit', Mira_Jade and 2 others like this.
  16. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Findswoman I understand how crazy real life can be especially in these crazy coronavirus times, so there is definitely no pressure to compete if Dark Real Life interferes. This Summer Olympics totally embraces spectators who want to cheer competitors on from the sidelines:) It's just like the real Olympics in that fans are an important part of the fun and the exciting atmosphere.

Thank you for giving permission for people to "double dip" with your challenges and the Summer Olympics. I'll make a special note in my OP so everyone is aware:D

Jâd Sphera, Kahara, Kit' and 4 others like this.
  17. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'm probably insane for even trying, but what the hey, I'll sign up for a Star Wars decathalon with Poldo.

18. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Great. I'll add you to the list!:)

19. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    I have what may be a silly question: can you define the four types of love in the 4 X 100 relay, particularly the difference between affection and intimacy? Just how intimate does intimacy have to be? I have a few characters in mind who aren’t necessarily in that sort of relationship.

20. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Do sign-ups close on July 1 when the competition begins? (I'm going to sign up, just wondering how long I have to decide how daring I want to be. :p )

21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    No worries. There's no such thing as a silly question! :)

I'd define affection as that sort of warm, fuzzy feeling of fondness. Affection could be for a family member, a friend, or a pet.

I'd define intimacy as a deep feeling of closeness to someone; a sense that you know someone profoundly and that person knows you. It can be felt between people in a romantic relationship, but also between parents and children or between siblings or between friends. It doesn't necessarily have to be physical intimacy in my opinion.

I'll also say that you can be quite open-ended and flexible with the definitions. Ultimately it is about what intimacy or affection means to your character, couple, family, or friendship if that makes sense.

Hope this helps!

Another excellent question. Since this is such a long competition, I will leave signups open after July 1st, and allow signups until the closing date, though, obviously, the nearer you signup to the closing date, the less time you have to work on your events. This also holds true for people who might have signed up already but want to add another event. For instance, if someone signed up to write a Luke Pentathlon but wants to write a Han Triathlon as well, that person can signup after July 1st for the Han Triathlon. I know it can be hard to predict in June what your August schedule will look like so I think having signups that go beyond July 1st will help with that. So you can decide as you go along how daring you would like to be:)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  22. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Is it okay to start planning before the competition officially opens?

23. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    @Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Yes, you can absolutely start planning and outlining before the official start of the competition. :)

Kahara and Kit' like this.
  24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Dec 21, 2016
    Thank heavens, because the muse is already musing! [face_laugh]

25. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Please sign me up for a Star Wars Pentathlon. Most of the events seem to have reasonable word counts, and we have two months to complete everything. Plus I have a small handful of plot bunnies left from when I stopped writing SW fanfic back in...uh... oh, wow, really? That long ago? [face_blush] Ahem. Moving right along....

My character will be Captain Tarpals, from TPM (and one episode of the Clone Wars series).